Amritsar Pindi Chhole recipe|Pindi Chhole with Homemade Chhole Masala | Pindi Chhole recipe with written and video recipe
Amritsari Pindi Chhole / Chhole Masala is one of the most popular North Indian Vegetarian Curry . It’s made with boiled Chickpeas / Kabuli Chana , basic spices and very flavourful fresh HOMEMADE CHHOLE MASALA ..
Chhole can be served with Bhatura, Kulcha, Naan, Paratha or Steamed Rice . Perfect option for weekend dinner or Sunday brunch …
Why Mustard Oil ?? Mustard oil is beneficial in digestion, fighting infection, boost immunity, cure cold, nourish skin and hair, improve health and a lot more .
Because of Anti-Aging properties, Mustard Oil is also used for body massage to relieve pain, muscular stress improve skin texture and blood circulation. Mustard Oil can act as a skin antioxidant and can remove tan and dark spots as well as lighten the skin..
The soul of Amritsari Pindi Chhole is the freshly grounded Chhole Masala. Store bought Masala can be used too but Homemade fresh Masala gives best and awesome result.
So, let’s checkout the recipe…
Checkout the Video Recipe for AMRITSARI PINDI CHHOLE …
Recipe Card for Amritsari Pindi Chhole…
Amritsari Pindi Chhole
Flavourful, Tasty and super delicious Amritsari Pindi Chhole, tastes best with Bhatura, Kulcha, Naan, Paratha or Steamed Rice ..
To make Chhole Masala
- 2 tbsp Cumin
- 3 tbsp Dry Coriander Seeds
- 1 tbsp Black Pepper
- 5 pc Cloves
- 2 Bay Leaves
- 2 inch Cinnamon Piece
- 1 pc Star Anise
- 3 Black Cardamom
- 5 to 6 Green Cardamom
- 1 pc Mace / Javitri
- 4 to 5 Dry Red Chilli
- 1/4 pc Nutmeg
- 1 tbsp Kasuri Methi
- 1 tsp Carom Seeds
- 3 tbsp Anardana
- 1 tbsp Amchur
- 1 tbsp Red Chilli powder
- 1 tbsp Black Salt
Other Ingredients :
- 1.25 cup Chickpeas / Kabuli Chana
- 2 tsp Tea leaves
- Black Salt
- 1/4 tsp Baking Soda
- 1/2 cup Idhayam Hardil Mustard Oil/ or any oil
- 3 tbsp Ginger Garlic Paste
- 1/2 cup finely chopped Onions
- 2 to 3 Green Chillies , slit
- 1/2 cup Fresh Tomato Puree
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric Powder
- 1/2 tsp Red Chilli
- 2 to 3 tbsp Tamarind water or lemon juice (only if needed)
- 3 to 4 tbsp Chopped Coriander
To make Chhole Masala ..
- Dry Roast all the ingredients listed above except Anardana, Ajwain, Kasuri methi, Amchur, red chilli powder and black salt.
- Roast till fragrant. Roast on slow flame.
- Once nicely roasted , switch off the flame and add anardana , ajwain and kasuri methi.
- Allow it to cool completely.
- Transfer the roasted mixture in mixer jar. Blend coarsely.
- Now add black salt, red chili powder and Amchur. Again blend into fine powder. Chhole Masala is ready
- Store in an air tight container…
To make Chhole
- Wash and Soak chickpeas in enough water for 6 to 7 hours or overnight.
- Next day wash chickpeas and transfer to pressure cooker. Add salt, baking soda and bayleaf..
- Another side, heat 3 cups of water. Add 2 tsp tea leaves. Boil for 2 minutes . Strain and add this water to pressure cooker with chickpeas.
- Cover the pressure cooker and cook for 4 to 5 whistles on slow to medium flame .
- Allow the pressure cooker to cool completely. Don’t throw away or drain the water from Chhole.
- Heat IDHAYAM KACHI GHANI MUSTARD OIL in an Iron Wok.
- Once oil is smoking hot, add some asafoetida/Hing.
- Then add Ginger Garlic Paste. Saute for few seconds then add finely chopped Onions.
- Now on slow to medium flame saute Onions till it turns brown.
- Once onions are nicely sauted , turned brown, add some turmeric powder , red chilli powder and 3 tbsp Freshly grounded Chhole Masala ..
- Saute for few seconds , then add fresh tomato puree.
- Stir and cook till oil starts separating .
- If you want more spicy , one can add more green chillies at this stage .
- Now , add boiled chickpeas/ chhole with its water ..
- Adjust salt and black salt as per taste. Keep cooking till desired consistency ..
- Don’t end up adding too much of water in chhole..
- Garnish with finely chopped coriander.
- Second temper can be done with 3 tbsp oil and some red chilli powder, I avoided.
- Serve hot with with Paratha, Naan, Kulcha or Steamed Rice ..
- Soak Chickpeas for minimum 6 to 7 hours or atleast 5 hours in warm water.
- For best result , use freshly grounded Chhole Masala
- Iron Kadai / wok gives amazing colour and flavour to the dish .
- If Anardana / Pomegranate Seeds is not sour enough then add some tamarind water or lemon juice.
- If needed, second temper can also be done with just some oil and red chilli/ green chillies. I avoided , as it was perfect for us in family.
Do try this recipe , and don’t forget to share your feedback with me.
Kindly rate the recipe and give your feedback in the comment box below.
Happy Cooking 🙂 🙂