A spicy, flavourful deep fried snack recipe which is very popular in North Indian Cuisine. Matar Kachori is flaky, crispy pastry filled with spicy green peas filling.
Filling can be varied from savoury to sweet . Potatoes, Onions and Garlic can be used too. Winter season is here and this Matar Ki Kachori can be a delicious , warm breakfast or brunch or evening snack idea. Matar Kachori is served with spicy coriander chutney and sweet dates tamarind chutney.
Checkout some other delicious snack varieties which are already posted on blog..
I have made this very tasty and cute looking bite sized Matar Kachori in IDHAYAM GROUNDNUT OIL
Checkout the Video recipe here..
Recipe Card Matar Kachori
- 1 cup Maida / All Purpose Flour
- 1 tbsp Semolina / Sooji
- 4 tbsp Ghee / Clarified Butter
- 1/4 tsp Baking Powder
- 1 cup Green Peas, boiled
- 2 tsp Oil
- 1/2 tsp Cumin Seeds
- 1 tbsp Sesame Seeds
- 1 tsp Fennel Seeds
- 2 tbsp Chilli Ginger Paste
- 2 green Chillies, chopped (only if need more spicy taste)
- 1/2 tsp Sugar(optional)
- 1/2 tsp Lemon Juice
- 1/4 cup finely chopped Coriander
- 1 tbsp Besan
- Oil for frying
- To make pastry, first serve the flour, semolina , salt and baking powder . Add Ghee into it. One can use Oil too.
- Mix well. Add water little by little and form tight dough . Cover and keep aside .
- In a mixer grinder, crush green peas coarsely . DON’T ADD WATER. Keep Aside.
- In a pan, heat Oil. Add cumin seeds. Once cumin seeds , crackled add sesame seeds and fennel seeds and Chilli Ginger paste .
- Fry for few seconds and add crushed green peas. Also add dry spices like salt, red chilli powder and Coriander Powder
- Add Besan mix well . Roast for 2 to 3 minute.
- Add fresh coriander and lemon juice. Cook for more a minute.
- Keep aside
To make Matar Kachori
- Make equal sized balls from dough.
- Roll into 3 to 4 inch round on a dusted board.
- Add some stuffing in center. Seal the edges properly. Make sure there is no gap .
- Flatten gently. You can roll gently with rolling pin too.
- Cover the prepared kachori with a lightly wet cloth and keep aside.
- Heat IDHAYAM GROUNDNUT OIL . At time of frying, oil should NOT be too hot or too cold.
- Slide kachoris gently in hot oil.
- Fry on low to low-medium flame. Kachori will start puffing up.
- Fry till golden and crispy from both the sides.
- Drain Kachoris on tissue paper to remove access oil.
- Serve hot with spicy coriander chutney and sweet date- tamarind chutney..
- To make it vegan, Oil can be used in dough.
- The proportion of Flour and Ghee/Oil is very important for making is flaky.
- Too moist dough, won’t result into flaky and crispy pastry. Too dry flour also won’t give perfect result.
- For frying kachoris, oil should be medium hot. Too hot oil won’t allow dough to be flaky so outer layer can be crispy but innerlayer will be uncooked ..
- If oil is too cold, kachoris will soak lots of Oil so end result will be very oily kachoris.
- The spices in stuffing , can be adjusted as per taste.
Hope you will like this recipe. I would love to listen from you all..
Do try this recipe , and don’t forget to share your feedback with me.
Kindly rate the recipe and give your feedback in the comment box below.
Happy Cooking 🙂 🙂