Written and video recipe for Gujarati snack Buff Vada, with details and tips|FaraliPattice | Potato Pattice recipe | Fasting Snack Recipe |Farali Aloo Pattice
Buff vada / Farali Pattice / Farali Stuffed Potato Pattice , is a deep fried Gujarati snack variety, which is a well-known snack to have during Fasts. The crispy and golden outer covering is made with boiled and mashed potato. Stuffed with a delicious tangy mix of fresh coconut, herbs and dry fruits which make these vadas excellent in taste. . The tangy stuffing is simply mouthwatering …
This crispy yet soft Vadas are mainly prepared with mashed potatoes and some Farali Flours. But the main attraction is stuffing/filling. Stuffing has blast of flavours. Spicy , tangy , sweet taste will surely enhances the taste.
Recently got lovely oil hamper from Idhyam Mantra Groundnut Oil. Fasting season is just round the corner, and Buff Vada was on my mind since so long.. So, it‘s perfect time to make long pending BuffVada with Idhyam Mantra Groundnut Oil..
Idhyam is a very well known brand for edible oil …IDHAYAM Group was found in the year 1986. IDHAYAM sesame oil is a natural cooking medium. Today just the word ‘IDHAYAM’, has almost become synonymous with Sesame Oil. Within a short span of its launch ‘IDHAYAM’ entered into millions of homes and also into the hearts of its occupants.
Sharing here some of the benefits of Idhyam Mantra Grondnut Oil..
IDHYAM MANTRA GROUNDNUT OIL is the healthiest Oil with the natural flavour of Groundnut . This Oil keeps you healthy and it’s fit for whole family. Idhayam Mantra Groundnut Oil keeps your food carcinogen free. It has a high smoking point which makes ideal for deep frying. Also known as PeanutOil, it can be used to make Pooris, Vadas, Bajjis, Bondas, Parottas and so much more …
We used this Groundnut Oil and My family approved it 😍😍😍. Loved it. You should definitely give it a try 😍😍😍 ..
Coming back to the today’s recipe , here I am sharing some points to take care about the dish..
- Always use freshly cooked potatoes. Buff vada outerlayer needs that moisture..
- Don’t keep Potatoes in refrigerator before using for BuffVada.
- Stuffing should be spicy and tasty, so add salt, Chilli, lemon juice and Sugar accordingly..
- In fasting , if you use Garam Masala , just add a little to stuffing.
- I have shared this recipe as Fasting recipe for ongoing festivals. But if you are making on normal days , breadcrumbs or cornflour can be added to potato for outer layer.
Checkout the detailed video recipe for Farali Potato Pattice..
Recipe Card for Buff Vada/ Stuffed Potato Pattice / Farali Buff Vada
Crispy, Soft, Spicy, Tangy , very easy and full of Flavours these Buff Vadas are totally addictive . Best snack option during fastings. Serve Hot with Chutney, Tomato Sauce or hot cup of Tea/Coffee
For Outer Layer
- 4 medium sized Potatoes
- 4 tbsp Arrowroot Flour/ Tapkir / Sabudana flour
- Sendha Salt
- 1 tsp Oil
- 2 tbsp grated Potato
- 4 tbsp roasted and coarsely crushed Peanuts
- 1 tbsp Roasted Sesame Seeds
- 2 tbsp Crushed Fennel Seeds
- 3 tbsp Desiccated Coconut / Fresh Coconut
- 7 to 8pc Cashew nuts , chopped
- 1 tbsp Raisins / Kishmish, chopped
- 1 tbsp spicy chilli ginger paste
- 1.5 tbsp Lemon Juice Or 1 tsp aamchur
- 3.5 tbsp powdered Sugar
- Sendh Salt
- 1/2 cup Fresh Coriander, finely chopped
- 3 to 4 tbsp Arrowroot flour, to coat
- Oil to fry
- First grate the potatoes with thin grater. Always use freshly cooked potatoes.
- Take 2 tbsp grated potato in another bowl to make stuffing . Adding potato will give nice binding to stuffing.
- Add roasted and crushed Peanuts, Sesame Seeds, crushed Fennel seeds, Desiccated Coconut, dry fruits, Spicy Chili Ginger paste, lemon juice , powdered sugar..
- Mix everything so well. As soon as you start mixing , some moisture will start releasing as we have added salt,sugar and lemon juice (that’s reason we have added potato to give perfect binding to stuffing)
- Make small sized balls out of stuffing and keep aside. Making balls will ensure the the same size of each ball.
- Now, let’s prepare outer layer. Add some black salt, 1 tsp Oil and arrowroot/tapkir to grated potatoes. Simple trick to decide how much Arrowroot to add in the mixture- 1 medium sized potato=1 tbsp Arrowroot.
- Mix everything so well and make a soft dough. If dough looks sticky , grease hands and handle the mixture.
- Divide the dough into equal sized portions.
- Grease hands and flattened the potato mixture balls. Place the stuffing ball in center and seal properly.
- There should be no crack on surface.
- In bowl , take some arrowroot flour. Roll the stuffed balls in it. Roll nicely again between palm and dust off all access flour.
- Heat Idhyam Mantra Groundnut Oil in Kadai. Once it’s hot enough slow the flame.
- Place stuffed balls one by one. At a time fry 5 to 6 pattice only. Don’t overcrowd.
- Once placed in hot oil, Don’t touch immediately.
- After few seconds , when hot oil bubble reduced , stir gently .
- Increase the gas flame to medium high.
- Stir occasionally for even frying.
- Fry on medium to high flame till crispy and golden.
- Take out the crispy Buff Vada and place on a oil absorbent paper, in case of any access oil.
- Serve hot with Spicy Coriander Chutney, Tomato Sauce, Sweet Tamarind Chutney.
- Even simple hot cup of Tea / Coffee makes the best pair with this delicious Vada.
Hope you will like this recipe. I would love to listen from you all.
Do try this recipe , and don’t forget to share your feedback with me…
Kindly rate the recipe and give your feedback in the comment box below.
Happy Cooking 🙂 🙂