How to make Gujarati Handvo | Vegetable Handvo Recipe | Vegetable Mix Dal Handvo | Healthy Breakfast / Snacks Recipe
HANDVO is a Protein – Packed, healthy and tasty Gujarati savory baked snack made with Rice, Lentils and lots of vegetables. Serve with Coriander Chutney. Its a Perfect Option for healthy and yummy Breakfast or Dinner.
It is one of the popular Gujarati recipe. Usually there is a special handvo cooker that is used in making handvo. But it can be baked even in an oven, pan or pressure cooker. Here, I will show the ways to make Gujarati Handvo in Aluminium Kadai and Non stick Pan.
I have used IDHAYAM MANTRA GROUNDNUT OIL to Make Gujarati Handvo . Using this traditional, natural and pure groundnut oil gives pleasure and satisfaction towards health of my family. Idhayam Mantra Groundnut Oil is a heart friendly oil too. The high smoking point of groundnut oil makes it ideal for deep frying too.
I have posted quite a few Gujarati cuisine recipes till now in my blog, but personally, I feel handvo recipe is the most healthy recipe. basically, the recipe is full of nutrients particularly a protein-packed filling spicy bread.
Few Gujarati Breakfast recipes , which I have already uploaded on blog,
Checkout the detailed Video Recipe for Healthy and tasty Gujarati Handvo …
Let’s checkout the detailed written recipe too..
- Some Masoor Dal can be added too while soaking rice and lentils.
- Don’t add sour curd while grinding lentils and rice. Batter may turn very sour after fermentation.
- Batter consistency should be thick and slightly coarse.
- Add Eno batchwise to the batter. Dont add Eno to all the batter at a time, if not using at that moment.
- cook Handvo only on SLOW FLAME .
- One can bake Handvo on 180C for 30 to 35 minutes.
- Handvo can be made in Alluminium Kadai, Iron kadai or non stick pan. Imporant point is Base should be thick for slow cooking.
- 1 cup Rice
- 1/2 cup Chana Dal
- 1/4 cup Tuvar Dal
- 2 tbsp Urad Dal
- 1/2 cup Curd
- 1 cup grated Bottle Gourd
- 1/2 cup grated Carrots
- 1/2 cup grated Cabbage
- 1/2 cup finely chopped Coriander
- 2 tbsp Ginger Chilli Paste
- 2/3 tsp Turmeric Powder
- 1 tbsp Red Chilli Powder
- 1/2 tsp Asafoetida / Hing
- 1.5 tbsp Sugar
- 1.5 tbsp Oil , to add in better
- 2 tbsp Oil, to temper
- 1/2 tsp Mustard Seeds
- 1/2 tsp Cumin Seeds
- Few Curry Leaves
- 1 tbsp Sesame Seeds
- 1/2 tsp Hing
- First mix rice and all 3 lentils. One can also add some Masoor Dal . Wash throughly.
- Soak with enough water for atleast 4 to 5 hours.
- Later, drain the access water and transfer to mixer jar.
- Add 1/2 cup curd. Don’t use sour curd as after fermentation, it will be very sour and wont taste nice.
- Add very less water and grind thick with slightly coarse texture.
- Transfer in a wide bowl. Whisk well for a minute.
- cover and keep aside for fermentation for 6 to 8 hours or overnight. Keep in dry and warm place.
- After that time, you will notice batter will be light and nicely fermented though it may not rise too much.
- Mix well. If using , all the batter at a time, add veggies. Else keep some batter in refrigerator for later usage. Dont store batter after adding veggies and salt .
- Add veggies of your choice. I have added grated bottle gourd, grated Carrots, finely chopped cabbage, chopped coriander. Even you can add some spinach or fenugreek leaves and Green Peas too.
- Also add chilli ginger paste, salt, turmeric powder, red chilli powder and sugar and Oil. Sugar will give nice balance to spicy taste .
- Mix well. Keep aside for 10 minutes. Veggies will release water once mixed with batter and salt. So dont add any water in batter.
- If you find batter is very runny, add 1 or 2 tbsp Sooji in it.
- Now, add 1/2 tsp Eno / Fruit Salt, to batter. Also add 1 tbsp water on eno to activate it nicely.
- Give a good and quick stir.
- In a pan , heat 2 tbsp Oil.
- Add Mustard seeds, cumin seeds, curry leaves and sesame seeds. Add some hing and pour the batter . Spread evenly gently.
- Cover and cook for 8 to 10 minutes on slow flame. Cook till edges turns dark and crispy.
- Gently flip and again cover. Cook for more 5 to 6 minutes on slow flame.
- Cook till both the sides turns crispy.
- Switch off the flame and serve Handvo hot with coriander chutney. Even curd or curd based chutney tastes really good with Handvo.
- Enjoy Vegetable Handvo as a breakfast or Dinner.
Hope you will like this recipe. I would love to listen from you all..
Kindly rate the recipe and give your feedback in the comment box below.