Thandai Powder is a very healthy and refreshing powder mix to make Thandai , which is generally prepared on festivals like Holi or Maha Shivratri ..
Generally in India , healthy and refreshing coolers are widely consumed during Summer. . Such coolers are actually very easy to make from natural and easily available local ingredients like Fruits, Vegetables or some special Herbs.
In India, we celebrate each festival with great pleasure and enthusiasm.. Holi is one of the most favourite festivals among kids…Holi is a Spring Festival and falls during month of March. Its a festival of colours.. Thandai and Bhaang is unseperable part of Holi . Bhang is edible preparation of Cannabis..
The traditional way of making thandai is to soak the nuts overnight then grind them finely using grindstone and then it is filtered through a muslin cloth.
But I guess , now its time for quick and instant version..
Since 2 years , Thandai powder recipe I wanted to share on blog but somehow missed .. Few friends requested for recipe few days back. So thought its a perfect time to share, as Holi is just round the corner. Here is my quick and easy Thandai masala powder recipe for you all to enjoy chilled refreshing thandai on this festival of colours Holi.
There are two methods of making Thandai powder, one is Instant and the other one takes little more time..
1- Instant Thandai powder
2 – Soak the almonds and pistachio overnight and then peel the skins and after that sun dry the peeled almond and pistachio till they dry completely and then follow the same process as I am sharing today.
Both Taste awesome so do try this Thandai powder recipe and give me your feedback 🙂
I have prepare this Thandai Powder , as my contribution to the #Holikerang , conducted by Desi Bloggers Connect . Its a group of food bloggers on FB where sharing is caring is the main theme.
You can check the amazing entries by fellow bloggers here..
- Moong Dal Ladoos by Jagruti Dhanecha
- Thandai Gujiya by Lata Lala
- Methi Mathri by Amrita Roy
- Kesar Phirni by Priya Shrinivasan
- Homemade Thandai by Geetanjali Tung
- Gujiya by Avin Kohli
- Moong Dal Dahi Bhallas by Vanita Bhat
- Mawa Kachoris by Swaty Malik
- Thandai and Dry Fruits Barfi by Sapana Bahl
- Rose Lassi by Geetha Priyanka
- Papaya Halwa by Jayashree Trao
- Thandai Chia Pudding by Mayuri Patel
- Instant Malpua by Pavani Gunikuntla
Coming to recipe, please go through some notes which I would love to share with you all..
- Poppy seeds are purely optional.
- One can replace Melon Seeds with Cashews, I used some Cashews .
- One can add Rose Essence if Dry Rose Petals are not available .
- Add more Peppercorns , if need more spicy. For me , this measurement is perfect.
- You can use Nutmag powder , if desired.
- One can use this Thandai powder in other desserts too.
- 30 to 40 minutes resting time is optional too. One can instantly consume it .
Checkout the video recipe here
- 1 cup Almonds
- 1/2 cup Unsalted Pistachio
- 1/4 cup Melon Seeds
- 10 pc Cashew Nuts
- 3 tbsp Peppercorns
- 4 tbsp Fennel Seeds
- 1/4 cup Green Cardamom
- 2 tbsp Poppy seeds (optional)
- 4 tbsp Sugar
- 1/2 tsp Saffron Strands
- 1/4 cup Dried Rose Petals
First we have to smooth blend some ingredients. In a blender jar add Sugar, Cardamom, Whole Peppercorns and Fennel Seeds and grind to make a fine powder.
Now , Sieve it with a fine strainer and keep aside. Grind the residue and sieve again and then discard the final residue.
Add Almonds, Pistachio, Melon Seeds, Cashew Nuts, Saffron, Dried Rose Petals and Khas Khas. Grind to make a fine powder. If you wish you can sieve and again grind the residue. Here , I didn’t sieve but I have ..
Now add both the powders in a bowl and mix properly. Thandai Powder is ready..
Store the thandai in a airtight glass jar.
Take a glass of chilled milk and add sugar according to your taste and mix well . Now, add 2 tsp of this thandai masala powder ,mix and allow it to be chilled. One can serve after at least 40 mins. One can notice that when you keep the drink to chill , it will be more tasty and also bit thick too.
Do try this recipe , and don’t forget to share your feedback with me..
Kindly rate the recipe and give your feedback in the comment box below..
Stay connected with me on following social medias….
Happy Cooking 🙂 🙂