Gunda stuffed with grated raw Mango and Achar Masala. Mustard Oil will add on taste to the pickle. A finger licking , delicious combination of sour and spicy taste. One can store this pickle for years.
Pickle is very essential part of Indian food. In any region of India, You can get many varieties of pickle. Like a normal Gujarati i am also a very big fan of varieties of pickles. A Big thanks to my sister, JALPA , who gave me this recipe before couple of years and since then i am making this pickle. All love this at home.
In previous pickle post i already posted Achar Masala Recipe. You can make with that recipe or can use readymade. Here for this pickle i used ready made.
To make perfect pickle , two essential thing is PATIENCE and TIME . Never be in hurry or distracted while making pickle. Have patience and enjoy each phase of process. You can preserve this pickle for years, if you make and handle properly.
Few TIPS while making pickle and store that…
- Always choose firm raw mangoes. NEVER take slightly ripe or soft Mangoes. RAJAPURI is the best variety to make pickle.
- At time of choosing GUNDA also be careful. it should not be soft or ripe. It should be raw and full green colour.
- No need to peel mangoes while making pickle , as it will give firmness and crunchiness to mango.
- Once you marinate mangoes with salt, Dry that completely. A little moisture in mango can also ruin the pickle.
- At time of deseeding Gunda, take a pinch of salt on knife . This way one can easily remove the seed without any stickiness.
- Try to avoid touching my hands, this way you can maintain purity of the pickle and can increase the shell life.
- You can use even Sesame Seed Oil for the pickle. Mustard oil will enhance the taste for sure.
- Make oil smoking hot (Not boiling) then bring to room temperature and THEN ONLY add to pickle. At time of adding oil, oil must be cool completely.
- The quantity of Pickle Masala can be vary depends on personal choice. Here i used ready made Pickle Masala.
- No mentioned rule or measurement of oil actually. Depends on the total quantity of Pickle, one has to decide. Oil should be more in quantity and should cover the pickle while storing.
- Store in a sterilised glass jar.
- Oil should cover the pickle in jar , if not pickle will get fungus soon. Oil must be in good quantity.
- One has to keep mixing pickle for a week, twice in a day. This way you can increase the shell life and masala will be nicely mixed up with Goonda and Mango.
- Once made, after a month only take this pickle in use. Old pickle will taste the best.
So now lets see the detailed recipe for this pickle.
- 2 kg Gunda
- 3.5 kg Raw Mango
- 3.5 lt Mustard Oil
- 2.5 kg Pickle Masala
- 1 cup Rock salt
- 1 tbsp Turmeric Powder
Wash and clean the 2.5 kgRaw Mangoes. Once Dry fully cut into cube size. Now add Rock salt and turmeric powder. Mix very well. Close the lid and keep aside for at least 8 to 10 hours. Keep on mixing after every 2-3 hrs.
You can see water is released from Mangoes and its very soft . Now Squeeze gently and dry this mango pieces on a cotton cloth for 5 to 6 hrs or till Mangoes get fully dry. If possible make it sundry . But if sun dry is not possible, one can also keep under fan. In either way, be careful. Mongoes should be free from dust or any other impurities at this stage.
Till time lets make the stuffing for Gunda..
Take rest 1 kg Raw mango. Wash, clean the peel the mangoes. Grate it. The grate should not be very thin… Add 2 tsp salt and 1/2 tsp Turmeric powder. (Here , you can use normal Salt, Rock salt is not needed) Mix well. Keep it aside for 7-10 mins, Now squeeze nicely and spread on cotton cloth to dry. Dry this grated mango for at least 3 to 4 hours.
Before proceeding , make sure this grated mangoes are fully dry.
Mix 1.5 kg Pickle Masala with grated mango. Mix well . If mixing by hands, make sure hands are washed and fully dry. IT IS MUST.
Clean Gunda and deseed it. Feel grated mixture of raw mangoes to this this gunda. Fill nicely .
Now Assemble Time,
Take this stuffed Gunda , Left over Mango mixture (If any) and Dried Mango cubes in a very broad and big vessel or any container.. Mix it gently with a spatula. Add 1 kg Pickle Masala . Mix very well. My family loves more of Masala in pickle, so i used in good quantity. You can also adjust the quantity as per your liking.
Keep this aside for at least 8-10 hours. Keep mixing at every 2-3 hours.
Take Oil in a vessel. Make it smoking hot. No need to boil the oil but smoke should come out of oil. Now allow it to cool down completely.
Mix this room temperature oil to pickle. Keep mixing. Make sure each and every bit of pickle should be mixed with Oil. Keep pickle in same container for 2-3 days . and keep mixing twice a day. Here if you feel you need more oil you can add with same procedure. NEVER ADD RAW OIL.
Store in sterilized glass jar. For first 6-7 days one has to keep mixing. After a month you can use this delicious pickle.
Hope you all will enjoy the recipe and this Pickle.
Happy Cooking 🙂 🙂