Masala Khichdi / Masala Khichdi Recipe/ Vegetable Khichdi / Healthy Tuvar Dal Khichdi with detailed written and video recipe
Masala Khichdi is simple, spicy and healthy Rice and Lentil based dish which can be served for lunch or dinner. Khichdi is India’s superfood and most common in every household.
Typical Khichdi is plain, spiceless preparation. So sharing here a spicy, exotic version of humble Khichdi. Masala
I have used IDHAYAM MANTRA GROUNDNUT OIL to Make Masala Khichdi . Using this traditional, natural and pure groundnut oil gives pleasure and satisfaction towards health of my family. Idhayam Mantra Groundnut Oil is a heart friendly oil too. The high smoking point of groundnut oil makes it ideal for deep frying too.
Here , I am also sharing the recipe for tasty Spiced Curd – Dahi Tikhari …
I would love to share some important tips to make perfect Masala Khichdi .. firstly use any short grain variety of rice. I have used Poni rice which we use on daily basis. Instead of Tuvar Dal , moong dal can be used. One can also use, mix of moong dal, chana dal, masoor dal.
Here, the measurements which i have shown will give nice pulao like texture to khichdi which we love in family. But if you like mushy texture, add more half cup water and cook for more 2 whistles.
Checkout the Video Recipe for Masala Khichdi and Dahi Tikhari here..
Now, lets checkout the detailed recipe.
Spicy, Healthy, very tasty one pot meal, made with rice, lentil s and spices, typically served with Spiced Curd and Papad
- 1/2 cup Rice (any short grain)
- 1/2 cup Tuvar Dal ( Arhar Dal)
- 2 tbsp Oil
- 1 tbsp Ghee
- 1 Cinnamon Stick
- 2 Cloves
- 1 Red Dry Chilli
- 1/2 tsp Mustard Seeds / rai
- 1/2 tsp Cumin Seeds / jeera
- 1/2 tsp Asafoetida / Hing
- 3 to 4 Garlic Cloves, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup Onions, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp Ginger Chilli Paste
- 3 tbsp Raw Peanuts
- 1/4 cup Greenpeas
- 1/4 cup Carrots, chopped
- 1/4 cup French Beans
- 2 tbsp Tomatoes, chopped
- 1/4 cup Potatoes, chopped
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric Powder
- 1 tbsp Red Chilli Powder
- 1 tsp Coriander Powder
- 1/2 tsp Garam Masala , optional
- 2 to 3 tbsp Coriander, finely chopped For Dahi Tikhari
- 1.5 cup Fresh Curd
- 1/2 tsp Black Salt
- 1 tbsp Oil
- 1/2 tsp Cumin Seeds
- 1/4 tsp Asafoetida/ Hing
- 1 tsp Red Chilli Powder
- In a bowl take rice and tuvar dal. Rinse with fresh water and wash 5 to 6 times or till water comes out clean.
- Soak rice and lentil with enough water for atleast 30 to 40 minutes. -Soaking will reduced the cooktime.
- In a pressure cooker, heat Oil and Ghee.
- Add Cinnamon Stick, cloves, mustard seeds, cumin seeds, dry red chilli and chopoed garlic. saute for few seconds..
- Add onions and ginger chilli paste. Again saute for few seconds.
- add all veggies like green peas, carrots, beans, potatoes, tomatoes. Sprinkle some salt . Saute.
- Now add red chilli powder, turmeric powder and coriander powder. One can also add some garam masala. Saute.
- now add, soaked dal- rice and saute for a munute.
- add 2.5 cups water. Cook with open lid till it starts boiling. Later add chopped coriander.
- cover the lid and cook on medium to high flame for 3 whistles.
- Switch off the gas and allow the hot steam to release by its own. To make Dahi Tikhari
- take curd in a bowl. Add black salt in it and whisk so well.
- heat oil. Add cumin seeds. Allow it to crackle.
- later add hing and redchilli powder.
- Immediately pour on curd. Mix well.
- Seerve Hot Masala Khichdi with Spiced curd and Papad.
Hope you will like this recipe. I would love to listen from you all..
Kindly rate the recipe and give your feedback in the comment box below.