How to make Akki Roti (Rice Flour Roti ) at home | Detailed written and Video recipe for Karnataka Special Akki Roti
Akki Roti / Rice Flour Roti, is a soft-n-crispy flatbread made with rice flour, veggies and basic Indian spices. It’s served with Chutney mainly in Breakfast or Lunch.. It is very popular in Karnataka – A southern State of INDIA- where Akki means rice in Kannada and so it is known as Akki Roti (Rice Roti).
Akki Roti is one of the best way to start your day. It is very easy to prepare and takes only 15-20 minutes..
Traditionally, to make rice roti , dough will be flattened directly on hot tawa. Well, it is a difficult process as it has risk of burning your fingers accidentally. Also not advisable for beginners. And if making for whole family , it’s a tedious task to make directly on pan.
To make Akki Roti, white Cotton Cloth or Banana Leaf or greased Foil or greased Parchment Paper can be used. I made using parchment paper and it works wonderfully great. But , if you have access of Banana Leaf, use that only as its the easiest and healthiest option to make Akki Roti .
Akki Roti can be thin or thick depends on your likings. I personally like thin roti .
Checkout other delicious FlatBreads which I have already posted on blog….
- Masala Lachha Paratha
- Amritsari Kulcha
- Gujarati Puran Poli
- Rajasthani Khoba Roti
- Mint Lachha Paratha
- Wheat Paneer Kulcha
- Checkerboard Paratha
Some Notes to make AKKI ROTI / MASALA AKKI ROTI / RICE FLOUR ROTI …
- Chana Dal, Dill leaves, Mint leaves can be added. If adding chanadal then soak it well then add to dough.
- Veggies like Cucumber, Cabbage, Bottle Gourd can be added too.
- If you like thin Akki Roti then make sure each veggies chopped /grated thin ..
- Akki Roti can be made directly on Tava. Grease tava with oil. Before switch on the Gas, spread the Roti evenly. Then, cook on medium flame till crispy. But, before spreading the next roti, make sure tava is not hot Or use 2 tava to use alternatively.
Checkout the detailed Video recipe here…
Recipe Card for Akki Roti ….
Akki Roti / Rice Flour Roti
Very quick, flavourful, tasty and easy <strong>Akki Roti </strong>which is a very famous <strong>Karnataka </strong>special<strong> Rice Flour Roti</strong>. Serve hot with favourite Chutney in Breakfast or Lunch..
- 1 cup fine Rice Flour
- 1 tsp Cumin Seeds
- 1/4 tsp Asafoetida
- 1 tsp Oil
- 1 Onion , finely chopped
- 2 Green Chillies, finely chopped
- Few Curry Leaves, finely chopped
- 1 Carrot , grated
- Some Capsicum, finely chopped
- Fresh Coriander leaves, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup Coconut, thinly grated
- Ginger paste
- Take rice flour in a mixing bowl. Don’t forget to sieve the flour using.
- Add finely chopped onions, capsicum, coriander, chillies , curry leaves , grated carrots, grated coconut.
- Also add salt, cumin seeds, asafoetida and oil.
- Mix well. Add water little by little and knead soft dough. Don’t pour more water at a time.
- Add half tsp oil over dough and mix well. Make equal sized 3 or 4 balls out of the dough.
- To prepare Akki Roti on Banana leaf, grease the leaf. If the banana leaf is not tender just heat it slightly and then grease with Oil.
- To prepare Akki Roti on Cotton Cloth, soak the cloth entirely in water. Squeeze it up . Cloth should be just moist with no dripping water.
- To prepare Akki Roti on Foil or Parchment Paper, just grease with Oil .
- Take a ball sized douggand tap gently to a thin thickness.
- If dough does not spread well, then keep dipping fingures in water and continue to spread.
- Make 3 holes, this will help to roast evenly.
- Now, flip over to hot Tava and press gently .
- Remove /lift the paper/cloth /leaf gently.
- Cook on medium flame till gets crispy.
- Flip over once base is cooked.
- Add Oil and roast both sides until it turns slightly golden..
- Serve Hot with favourite Chutney…
Hope you will like this recipe. I would love to listen from you all..