How to make the best bottlegourd vegetable at home | Grated Bottle Gourd with Dhokli / Besan dumplings recipe with all details , step by step pictures and video recipe
This is one more delicious and finger licking variety of Bottle Gourd. Grated bottle gourd is cooked with spices and delicious Chickpeas flour dumplings (Dhokli) which are steamed … Khamneli Dudhi – Dhokli Nu Shak , What we call in Gujarati is an extremely delicious and flavourful vegetable.
Generally, Bottle gourd is very under rated vegetable . It’s not loved by aĺl , I understand this fact. That is the reason I have posted some exotic variety in making Bottlegourd vegetable. One can try Bottle Gourd Kofta Curryor Stuffed Bottle Bourd. Bottle gourd is good for health and now its tasty and tangy too ..
This is one more specialities of my Mom. Even today whenever I visit to Mom place, its an unsaid rule to make this vegetable every week during my stay. She makes this vegetable so nicely .
Some tips to make vegetable more delicious
- Spread Dhokli batter very thin on plate. Make small pieces of it to enjoy nicely.
- Grate the bottle for gourd medium thick.
- Add little Garam Masala to enhance the taste. Though it’s not compulsory .
Checkout the video recipe here..
Lets see detailed recipe with step by step pictures …
First we will make Dumplings/Dhokli. For this just mix all ingredients
Add water little by little to avoid forming lumps in batter. Make thin batter adding sufficient water.
Spread this batter on greased plate and steam for 3-5 mins on high flame . Take it out and allow it to cool completely. Cut into squares. Keep aside.
Wash and clean bottle gourd. Peel it. Grate medium thick.
In a broad wok, heat the oil. Add clove, cinnamon, bay leaf, red dry chillies , roast for few seconds..
Now add Cumin seeds, sesame seeds , hing. Then add chopped tomatoes, cook for a minute or two .. later add pinch of turmeric and grated bottle gourd . Mix well .
Allow it to cook for few seconds. Add salt and grated ginger. Mix well. Cover the pan and allow it to cook till grated bottle gourd cooked fullt. It wont take much time. And make sure, it will not get over cooked and mashed.
After sometime mix again. Add red chilli powder, cumin coriander powder . Mix well and add dhokli-steamed dumplings to vegetable . Add lemon juice, if necessary. Garnish with chopped Corriander..
Serve hot with Roti or paratha.
Recipe Card for Grated Bottle Gourd Curry
Grated Bottle Gourd Curry
Grated Bottle Gourd Curry with chickpeas dumplings / Lauki aur Dhokli ki Subzi
- 600 gm Bottlegourd
- 4 to 5 tbsp Oil
- 1 tsp Cumin Seeds
- 1 tsp Asafoetida
- 1.5 tsp Sesame Seeds
- 2 Clove
- 1 Cinnamon
- 1 Bay Leaf
- 2 Red Dry Chillies
- 2 tsp Red Chillies Powder
- 1 tsp Turmeric Powder
- 1 tsp Corriander Cumin Powder
- 1 tsp Lemon Juice
- 1 Tomato, finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp Finely Grated Ginger (Optional)
- 1 Green Chilli , chopped (Optional)
- 3 tsp chopped Corriander
- 1 cup Chickpeas Flour / Besan
- 1/4 tsp Asafoetida
- 1/4 tsp Turmeric Powder
- 1/2 tsp Sugar
- To make chickpeas dumplings/ dhokli, take all ingredients in a bowl. Make thin batter adding sufficient water.
- Add water little by little for smooth batter. Mix very well and make sure no lumps there.
- Pour this batter on greased plate and steam for 3-5 mins. Once cooled completely, cut into small squares. Keep aside.
- Peel and grate bottle gourd. Always grate bottle hours only when you are ready to cook.
- In a broad wok, heat the oil. Add clove, cinnamon, bay leaf, red dry chillies , roast for few seconds..
- Now add Cumin seeds, sesame seeds , hing. then add chopped tomatoes, chillies and ginger. Saute . Allow it to cook for few seconds.
- Add Turmeric Powder and grated bottle gourd. Mix well. Cover the pan and allow it to cook till grated bottle gourd cooked. It wont take much time. And make sure, it will not get over cooked and mashed.
- After sometime mix again . Add red chilli powder and cumin coriander powder. Give a quick mix and add dhokli-steamed dumplings to vegetable .
- Add lemon juice as per taste. Garnish with chopped Corriander..
- Serve hot with Roti/ Paratha.
Hope you will like this recipe. I would love to listen from you all..
Do try this recipe , and don’t forget to share your feedback with me..
Kindly rate the recipe and give your feedback in the comment box below..
Stay connected with me on following social medias….
Happy Cooking 🙂 🙂