Tomato Rice Recipe / Thakkali Sadam / Tomato Pulao Recipe / Tomato Rice with Raita Recipe
This easy, quick and delicious Tomato Rice recipe is a favorite dish from the Tamil Nadu state of South India. Also known as Thakkali Sadam in Tamil language, this dish is tasty, healthy and perfect to pack in a tiffin for lunch on the go.
While this tomato rice is a slight spicy, you can easily adjust the heat to your liking. Serve it plain, or with crispy papad and boondi raita. It makes a wonderfully filling and light lunch!
Thakkali Sadam is a popular rice dish from the Tamil Nadu cuisine. It is a slightly spicy rice dish that is made with tomato, spices and rice. In the Tamil language, ‘thakkali‘ means tomato and ‘sadam‘ is rice.
I have served Tomato Rice with easy and quick Boondi Raita
Lets checkout the detailed Video for Tomato Rice and Boondi Raita….
Easy, quick, flavourful Tomato Rice Recipe
- leftover rice can be used too.
- as per taste , add green chillies for more spicy taste.
- 2 cups Cooked Rice, not mushy
- 3 tbsp Oil
- 1 tsp Urad Dal
- 1 tsp Chana dal
- 1 tsp Mustard Seeds
- Few Curry Leaves
- 2 Red Dry Chillies
- 1/4 tsp Asafoetida / Hing
- 6 to 8 Cashew Nuts
- 2 medium Onions, chopped
- 3 medium sized Tomatoes, chopped
- 2 Green Chillies, optional
- 1 tbsp Ginger Chilli Paste
- 1 tbsp Kashmiri Red Chilli Powder
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric Powder
- 1 tsp Cumin Corriander Powder
- lots of fresh Coriander For Boondi Raita
- 1 cup Fresh Curd
- 2 pinches of Red Chilli Powder
- 1 tsp roasted Cumin Powder
- Black Salt
- Heat a pan with Oil.
- Add few fenugreek seeds, Urad Dal, Chana Dal, Mustard Seeds..
- Later, add Cashews. Saute everything well till little dark in colour.
- Add Hing and chopped Onions. Also add curry leaves, red dry chilli. Mix well.
- Cook till onions get cooked. No need to brown it.
- Now, add chopped tomatoes. Also add some Salt and Chilli Ginger Paste.
- Cook till tomatoes get soft and mushy.
- once tomatoes get fully cooked, add spices – red chilli powder, turmeric powder, coriander powder. Also add some finely chopped Coriander.
- Mix well and then add cooked /leftover rice. Gently mix.
- Garnish with some more chopped coriander. Serve Hot To make Raita,
- Whisk fresh curd in a bowl. Always use fresh curd and whisk well for smooth and creamy texture..
- Add red chilli powder, cumin powder and black salt.
- Add Masala Boondis. Mix well .
- Garnish with more boondis and chopped fresh coriander.
- Serve chilled.
Hope you will like this recipe. I would love to listen from you all..
Kindly rate the recipe and give your feedback in the comment box below.
Happy Cooking 🙂 🙂