Gujarati Dal is an easy, flavourful and very common at each Gujarati household. Just give us hot steamed rice with piping hot Gujarati Dal and we won’t ask for anything else.. . The consistency of this Dal will be thin and has sweet and sour taste.
Traditional Gujarati Dal is simple and healthy lentil soup recipe made from Tuvar Dal / Arhar Dal / Pigeon Pea . It’s a combination of sweet, spicy and sour taste. It’s an ideal side dish for steamed rice . Also tastes awesome with Roti / Chapati.
I have made this very tasty Gujarati Dal with IDHAYAM MANTRA GROUNDNUT OIL . .
For sour taste , add Kokum . Kokum adds wonderful taste to dal. If kokum is not available , add lemon juice or Tamarind pulp. Gujarati Dal , when served in functions or marriages, Tamarind Pulp is used.
Instead of Jaggery , Sugar can be used. Adding sweetness in this particular dal recipe is a must.
Sweetness , sourness and spiciness can be adjusted as per taste.
Checkout the Video recipe here..
Recipe Card for Gujarati Dal
Gujarati Tuver Dal
Gujarati Dal is a flavourful, sweet, spicy, tangy, tempered dal . It tastes amazing with hot steamed rice. It's a no onion no garlic recipe.
- 1/4 cup Tuvar Dal
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric Powder
- 1 tbsp Raw Peanuts
- 2 to 3 Kokum / A small piece of Tamarind / 2 tbsp Lemon Juice
- Few Curry Leaves
- 2 to 3 tbsp chopped Tomatoes
- 1/2 tsp grated Ginger (optional)
- 3 to 4 tbsp Jaggery / Sugar
- 1 tbsp Oil
- 1 tbsp Ghee / Clarified Butter
- 1 pc Cinnamon
- 2 to 3 Cloves
- 1 or 2 red dry chillies
- Few Fenugreek Seeds
- 1/2 tsp Mustard Seeds
- 1/2 tsp Cumin Seeds
- 1/2 tsp Asafoetida
- 1/2 tsp Red Chilli Powder
- 2 to 3 tbsp finely chopped fresh Coriander
- First wash Tuvar Dal for 2 to 3 times. Add fresh water and soak for 10 to 15 minutes.
- In separate bowls , Soak raw peanuts and tamarind with some water.
- Transfer the soaked dal in pressure cooker and cook for 2 to 3 whistles on slow flame.
- Allow the pressure to release naturally.
- With hand blender or wired whisk, mash the cooked dal fully. There should not be any chunk . Dal should be smooth and fully blended .
- Transfer the dal to a kadai. Add some salt and turmeric powder.
- Add curry leaves, chopped tomatoes, soaked peanuts, ginger.
- Mash and squeeze Tamarind plup and add to Dal. If Kokum is available, add that only.
- Add chopped Jaggery / Sugar. Quantity can be adjusted as per your taste and likings.
- Allow it to simmer for 7 to 8 minutes on slow to medium flame. Boiling will add beautiful aroma and taste to the dish.
- Now , let’s prepare tempering . For that, heat Oil & Ghee in a small kadai.
- Add cinnamon stick, clovesred dry chilli, fenugreek seeds, mustard seeds,cumin seeds.
- Allow to crackle nicely. Then add asafoetida and red chilli powder. Pour on Dal.
- Mix well . Add some finely chopped coriander. Simmer for more 2 to 3 minutes .
- Gujarati Dal is ready to serve .
Hope you will like this recipe. I would love to listen from you all..
Do try this recipe , and don’t forget to share your feedback with me.
Kindly rate the recipe and give your feedback in the comment box below.
Stay connected wit ygh me on following social medias…. Follow blog , YouTube Channel , FaceBook Page , Instagram, Pinterest , Twitter ..
Happy Cooking 🙂 🙂