Besan Ladoo or Magaz or Magaj recipe with all tips and tricks| Easiest Besan ke Ladoo recipe
Besan Ladoo is one of the most popular and loved sweet dish in Indian Cuisine. Besan Ladoo are made and relished for festivals, family events, or any occasions or celebrations. Besan Ladoo is also served as Prasadam … These Ladoos are not only delicious and aromatic but it has an amazing melt in mouth texture….
Besan Ladoos are made from Gram Flour, Clarified Butter (Ghee) and Sugar . This delicious ladoos can be prepared with just handful ingredients and amazingly delicious..
Check out some other Ladoos varieties which I have already shared on blog …
Checkout all these amazing types of Ladoos . I actually love these all 😍😍😍😍….
Besan Ladoo is a sweet , made with gram flour/Besan. Flour is roasted with Ghee (clarified butter) and then sugar is added and then it’s shaped into round balls. Chopped nuts can be added too.
Besan Ladoo made with very few ingredients and recipe also looks very easy. But, there are few tips and tricks to get that perfect result like Halwai , everytime.
For the perfect result like Mithai wala (sweetshop), use coarse Gram Flour. Or use half fine gram flour and half coarse flour Or add 2 to 3 tsp of Semolina in fine gram flour.
Roast the besan properly
The most important part while making besan ladoo is to make sure the besan is roasted well. It will take time and you will need to have lot of patience.
Do not rush in this step! If you don’t roast the besan properly, the ladoos will taste bitter and raw.
You will be able to understand whether it’s roasted or not from the aroma and also the color of the besan will change to a golden pink. But don’t over roast it either else you will burn it.
Roast on low flame
Equally important is to keep the heat to low at all times. If the heat is high, the besan will turn brown and even burn while still being raw.
- Keep stirring continuously
This recipe is a good hand workout. You need to stir continuously as you roast, which will be around 20 to 25 minutes! But the end result will be worth it, trust me!
Add sugar only when besan is cooled completely
Once the besan has roasted, let it cool down for at least 40 to 50 minutes before adding the sugar.
If you add the sugar while besan is still warm, the sugar will melt and loosen up the mixture and you won’t be able to bind the ladoos.
If you keep these things in mind, you will end up with the best homemade Besan Ladoos.
We make these ladoos on every Diwali or on any other festival or for simple sweet cravings …
Checkout the detailed video recipe here…
So let’s checkout the detailed recipe …
Recipe Card for Besan Ladoo / Magaz/ Magaj Ladoo
Besan Ladoo / Magaj or Magaz Ladoo
- 2.5 cup Coarse Gram Flour / Besan
- 2/3 cup Clarified Butter / Ghee
- 1 cup Sugar
- 5 to 6 Cardamom pods / Elaichi
- Chopped dry fruits , optional
- In a heavy bottom broad wok, heat Ghee. Once ghee is hot enough add all the flour. Gas flame should be slow for the whole process.
- Keep stirring on slow flame. Initially , ghee and flour mixture will be very difficult to stir.
- Have patience and keep stirring. Never go for any short cut to roast the besan. It’s little tiring but result is all worthy.
- Slowly gradually mixture will be fluffy and light. Checkout the video recipe to see how it looks on each step.
- Keep roasting besan on slow flame till it gives lovely aroma and beautiful light pink colour.
- It took almost 25 minutes to roast this besan on slow flame. Exact time may vary depending on Besan.
- At this point of time sprinkle few drops of water on it. Stir continuously.
- With sprinkling of water , the particles of besan will nicely rise and it will stay as it is once cooled .
- Now, switch off the flame. Keep stirring else , mixture will burn due to heat of Kadai…
- Transfer the mixture in a plate, else mixture will keep getting heat from kadai and it may burn. Allow it to cool completely .
- Take out 1 tbsp sugar from 1 cup of sugar and keep aside. It’s optional. I love the crunchy taste of sugar in Ladoos , so I always use little sugar like this.
- Grind sugar into smooth powder .
- Once mixture is cooled completely, add cardamom powder and powdered sugar. Never add sugar when mixture is hot, else sugar will melt and you will never be able bind the ladoos..
- Add 1 tbsp Sugar (which we kept aside) . Mix well .
- Chopped dry fruits and Melon Seeds can be added to mixture.
- Now form ladoos by rolling and pressing the mixture tightly between your palms.
- Garnish with chopped dry fruits or edible silver leaves (chandi ka varak)
- Store Ladoos in an air tight container.
- If using fine besan, add 2 to 3 tsp Semolina into it. Adding fine sugar will also give lovely crunch and taste.
- Roast besan on SLOW flame only. Never be in hurry.
- Depending on the quality of besan, sometimes it might taken even more than 25-30 minutes for it to roast. Aroma of roasted besan and the color change to golden-ish color is what you should be looking for.
- Don’t add sugar until mixture is totally cooled. Otherwise sugar will melt in hot/warm mixture and you won’t be able to bind ladoos.
- If your ladoos don’t look perfectly round after you shape them, wait for few minutes and then roll between your hands to shape them again.
Do try this recipe , and don’t forget to share your feedback with me..
Kindly rate the recipe and give your feedback in the comment box below..
Happy Cooking 🙂 🙂