RAVA IDLI | QUICK SEMOLINA IDLI|HOW TO MAKE PERFECT SPONGY RAVA IDLI | SNACKS | KIDS FAVOURITE | TIFFIN IDEA
Rava idli is a variation of the popular South Indian breakfast item, idli, made with rava or Bombay rava.
Rava idli is one of the most easiest snacks recipe , which is very healthy and can be ready in minutes . Neither it needs any expertise nor any fancy ingredients.. It dont need even long fermentation time.. So quick , easy and instant.
Best option for tiffin , or light meal.
Generally , Idlis are made with soaked Rice and Lentils. Then we have to fermented the batter for at least 6 to 8 hours. Then we can steam Idli .. But in case of Rava Idli (Sooji Idli) , neither it needs any soaking , grinding and fermenting…
Some NOTES …..
- I have added only Carrots as it was available in my freeze . One can use Green peas , grated Beetroot , chopped Beans or boiled Sweet Corns . It all tastes amazing .
- Roasting Rava gives more flavourful Idli.
- I have added Turmeric powder , just to make it more colourful . You can avoid .
- One can use Cooking Soda instead of Fruit salt but in that case, DON’T use turmeric powder . For this measurement use 1/2 tsp Cooking Soda .
- After adding Eno to batter, steam immediately.
Checkout the Video recipe for Super soft Rava Idli here,.
To Roast …
- 1 cup Rava / Semolina / Sooji
- 2 tsp Oil
- 1 tsp Ghee
- 1 tbsp Urad Dal (Split and dehusked Black Gram Lentil)
- 1 tbsp Chana dal (Split Bengal Gram)
- 1 tsp Mustard Seeds
- 1 tsp Cumin Seeds
- 2 or 3 Dry Chillies
- 1 tsp Asafoetida / Hing
- Some Cashew Nuts , chopped
- Some curry leaves
- Pinch of Turmeric Powder
Other Ingredients ..
- 1/2 cup Curd
- 1/4 cup grated Carrot
- 1 tbsp grated Ginger
- 2 tsp chopped Green Chilies
- 4 tbsp chopped coriander
- 1.5 tsp Fruit Salt / Eno Or 1/2 tsp Cooking Soda
First , we have to roast the semolina to make the flavourful Idli.. Heat Oil and Ghee in a wok , add Urad Dal and Chana Dal . Later add Cashew , red dry chili , mustard seeds , cumin seeds . When all roast nicely, add asafoetida and Semolina in wok.
Now roast it on slow flame. Keep stirring for uniform roasting . Else Rava may burn. Roast till it’s fragrant ..
Switch off the flame . Add turmeric powder. Mix well. Allow it to cool completely.. To make this process fast , spread roasted rava on plate..
To go further in recipe , Rava should be completely cooled .
Now take roasted rava in a bowl . Add carrots , coriander, curd , chilies , ginger , salt . Add some water and make thick batter.
Batter should be thick as Idli Batter. Allow it to rest for 10 to 12 minutes. Later, if you find batter turned very dry , add some more water and adjust the consistency .
Keep idli plates greased. Fill the idli cooker with some water and keep on medium flame.
Now add fruit salt in batter, and pour 1 tsp water on it. Mix it very well. Immediately fill idli plates and keep those plates in cooker.
Cover the lid and cook for around 9 to 10 minutes .. Cook on medium to high flame .
One can do toothpick test to check wether it’s done or still needs some cooking.
Take out the plates from Idli Cooker . Allow it to cool. Take a round spoon with sharp edges , dip in some water and take out the idlis from plates.
Idlis will be super soft and delicate so handle gently…
Hope you will like this recipe. I would love to listen from you all..
Do try this recipe , and don’t forget to share your feedback with me..
Kindly rate the recipe and give your feedback in the comment box below..
Stay connected with me on following social medias….
Happy Cooking 🙂 🙂