Thor recipe | Meetha Sata – Devda recipe | Easy recipe for Sweet Sata with written and video recipe
First of all, wishing you all a very Happy and Prosperous Diwali. Diwali is not complete without authentic sweets . Sharing here one of such sweet.
Thor – Meetha Sata is an authentic Gujarati Sweet. So crispy and flaky. It will totally melt in mouth. An eggless pastry is deep fried in Oil+ Ghee , then dipped in thick Sugar Syrup. This sugar syrup will harden and form a sugary layer , which looks so beautiful and tastes amazing. It’s very old and very famous Indian Sweet , which is generally served during Diwali or to Lord Krishna .
I have fried this very tasty flaky Sweet Sata in IDHAYAM GROUNDNUT OIL. Using this traditional , unrefined ,natural and pure groundnut oil gives pleasure and satisfaction towards health of my family. Idhayam Mantra Groundnut Oil is a heart friendly oil too. The high smoking point of groundnut oil makes it ideal for deep frying. Click here to know more about Idhayam products.
Making Thor- Sweet Sata is very simple and easy. One just need few simple ingredients, attention and patience to prepare perfect Thor.
- Pastry dough should be tight .
- I have used Oil + Ghee to fry Thor. It will ensure that , Thor won’t be so heavy while eating still will give royal taste. One can use only Ghee too.
- Fry on to low flame only.
- Once Thor cooled completely , then only make sugar syrup. As it will be hard very quickly.
- For Thor, we need thick glaze. Consistency should be 2 or 2.5 thread.
- Allow it to set for 2 to 3 hours..
Checkout the Video recipe for Thor…
Recipe Card for Thor – Meetha Sata
Thor- Meetha Sata
Traditional Gujarati Sweet. Flaky , Crispy Sata dipped in sugar syrup . Thor can be stored for weeks..
- 2 cups All Purpose Flour / Maida
- 3 tbsp Clarified Butter / Ghee
- 2.5 tbsp Semolina/ Sooji / Rava
- 3 to 4 tbsp Milk
- 1/2 tsp Baking Powder Or Baking Soda
For Sugar Glaze :
- 2.5 cups Sugar
- 1 1/4 cup water
- Few Cardamom Seeds
- Few drops Rose Essence, optional
Other Ingredients :
- Oil + Ghee to fry
- 5 tbsp Almonds, Finely chopped , for garnishing
- 5 tbsp Pistachio, finely chopped, for garnishing
- Some edible rose petals, optional
- In bowl, take Sooji. Add milk into it. Mix and keep aside for 10 minutes.
- After 10 minutes , sooji will be nicely soaked and puffed up.
- In a mixing bowl, Sieve Maida and baking powder.
- Add 3 tbsp Clarified Butter / Ghee. Also add soaked Sooji . Rub well with fingers. Ghee and Sooji should be nicely incorporated with flour.
- Add milk spoon by spoon. Knead a tight dough.
- Knead the dough for a minute , then cover and set aside for 30 minutes.
- After 30 minutes, knead the dough again for a minute.
- Take a portion from dough . Roll out a thick big roti out of it. It should be thicker than normal roti.
- With a cookie cutter or small katori, cut into shape .
- Take out the access dough. Now, prick with Fork or sharp knife. Pricking will ensure, Sata won’t puffed up while frying.
- Heat Idhayam Mantra Groundnut Oil and 1/2 cup Clarified Butter. One can use only Ghee too.
- Once Oil + Ghee turned hot, lower flame then add rolled Thor in it . Whole frying process will be on low to medium flame only.
- Keep changing the sides for even cooking.
- Once Thor starts changing the colour, increase the heat to medium flame .
- Fry till crispy and dark in colour. Slow the flame , take Thor out from Oil and keep aside .
- Allow them to cool completely before proceeding.
- In a pan, heat 2.5 cup Sugar and 1.5 cup water.
- Once sugar dissolve, add some cardamom seeds and few drops of rose water.
- Cook till 2 thread consistency.
- Cook sugar syrup on slow flame only.
- Once it’s ready, switch off the flame and let it cool for few seconds.
- Don’t cool it for long, else it will be hard.
- Now dip fried Thor in sugar glaze.
- Coat completely and put them on a greased tray/ thali / baking sheet.
- Immediately decorate them with chopped Almonds, Pistachio and edible rose petals.
- Once sugar syrup is ready , be really quick as it will be hard very soon.
- Let the glaze set completely for about 2 hours. Glaze will turn white as it cools.
- Now , Thor – Meetha Sata is ready to serve.
- Store in air tight container for many weeks.
- Enjoy !
- If in-between process, sugar syrup hardens, just add 2 tbsp water in it. Now heat it again for few seconds , stir well. It will be ready again to use.
- 2 or 3 coat of sugar syrup can be done , if one need it. I don’t prefer that , as it will be too sweet for me.
Hope you will like this recipe. I would love to listen from you all..
Do try this recipe , and don’t forget to share your feedback with me.
Kindly rate the recipe and give your feedback in the comment box below.
Stay connected with me on following social medias….Follow blog , YouTube Channel , FaceBook Page , Instagram, Pinterest , Twitter ..
Happy Cooking 🙂 🙂
4 thoughts on “Thor – Meetha Sata”
yum yummy….let the diwali sweets flow! They look so yummy.
LikeLiked by 1 person
Thank you so much dear
How beautiful! 🍒🍃
LikeLiked by 1 person
Thank you so much
LikeLiked by 1 person