Thor recipe | Meetha Sata – Devda recipe | Easy recipe for Sweet Sata with written and video recipe
First of all, wishing you all a very Happy and Prosperous Diwali. Diwali is not complete without authentic sweets . Sharing here one of such sweet.
Thor – Meetha Sata is an authentic Gujarati Sweet. So crispy and flaky. It will totally melt in mouth. An eggless pastry is deep fried in Oil+ Ghee , then dipped in thick Sugar Syrup. This sugar syrup will harden and form a sugary layer , which looks so beautiful and tastes amazing. It’s very old and very famous Indian Sweet , which is generally served during Diwali or to Lord Krishna .
I have fried this very tasty flaky Sweet Sata in IDHAYAM GROUNDNUT OIL
Making Thor- Sweet Sata is very simple and easy. One just need few simple ingredients, attention and patience to prepare perfect Thor.
- Pastry dough should be tight .
- I have used Oil + Ghee to fry Thor. It will ensure that , Thor won’t be so heavy while eating still will give royal taste. One can use only Ghee too.
- Fry on to low flame only.
- Once Thor cooled completely , then only make sugar syrup. As it will be hard very quickly.
- For Thor, we need thick glaze. Consistency should be 2 or 2.5 thread.
- Allow it to set for 2 to 3 hours..
Checkout the Video recipe for Thor…
Recipe Card for Thor – Meetha Sata
Thor- Meetha Sata
Traditional Gujarati Sweet. Flaky , Crispy Sata dipped in sugar syrup . Thor can be stored for weeks..
- 2 cups All Purpose Flour / Maida
- 3 tbsp Clarified Butter / Ghee
- 2.5 tbsp Semolina/ Sooji / Rava
- 3 to 4 tbsp Milk
- 1/2 tsp Baking Powder Or Baking Soda
For Sugar Glaze :
- 2.5 cups Sugar
- 1 1/4 cup water
- Few Cardamom Seeds
- Few drops Rose Essence, optional
Other Ingredients :
- Oil + Ghee to fry
- 5 tbsp Almonds, Finely chopped , for garnishing
- 5 tbsp Pistachio, finely chopped, for garnishing
- Some edible rose petals, optional
- In bowl, take Sooji. Add milk into it. Mix and keep aside for 10 minutes.
- After 10 minutes , sooji will be nicely soaked and puffed up.
- In a mixing bowl, Sieve Maida and baking powder.
- Add 3 tbsp Clarified Butter / Ghee. Also add soaked Sooji . Rub well with fingers. Ghee and Sooji should be nicely incorporated with flour.
- Add milk spoon by spoon. Knead a tight dough.
- Knead the dough for a minute , then cover and set aside for 30 minutes.
- After 30 minutes, knead the dough again for a minute.
- Take a portion from dough . Roll out a thick big roti out of it. It should be thicker than normal roti.
- With a cookie cutter or small katori, cut into shape .
- Take out the access dough. Now, prick with Fork or sharp knife. Pricking will ensure, Sata won’t puffed up while frying.
- Heat Idhayam Mantra Groundnut Oil and 1/2 cup Clarified Butter. One can use only Ghee too.
- Once Oil + Ghee turned hot, lower flame then add rolled Thor in it . Whole frying process will be on low to medium flame only.
- Keep changing the sides for even cooking.
- Once Thor starts changing the colour, increase the heat to medium flame .
- Fry till crispy and dark in colour. Slow the flame , take Thor out from Oil and keep aside .
- Allow them to cool completely before proceeding.
- In a pan, heat 2.5 cup Sugar and 1.5 cup water.
- Once sugar dissolve, add some cardamom seeds and few drops of rose water.
- Cook till 2 thread consistency.
- Cook sugar syrup on slow flame only.
- Once it’s ready, switch off the flame and let it cool for few seconds.
- Don’t cool it for long, else it will be hard.
- Now dip fried Thor in sugar glaze.
- Coat completely and put them on a greased tray/ thali / baking sheet.
- Immediately decorate them with chopped Almonds, Pistachio and edible rose petals.
- Once sugar syrup is ready , be really quick as it will be hard very soon.
- Let the glaze set completely for about 2 hours. Glaze will turn white as it cools.
- Now , Thor – Meetha Sata is ready to serve.
- Store in air tight container for many weeks.
- Enjoy !
- If in-between process, sugar syrup hardens, just add 2 tbsp water in it. Now heat it again for few seconds , stir well. It will be ready again to use.
- 2 or 3 coat of sugar syrup can be done , if one need it. I don’t prefer that , as it will be too sweet for me.
Hope you will like this recipe. I would love to listen from you all..
Do try this recipe , and don’t forget to share your feedback with me.
Kindly rate the recipe and give your feedback in the comment box below.
Happy Cooking 🙂 🙂