Vermicelli Kheer is a delicious Indian Sweet/Dessert , which can be prepared with mainly 3 ingredients – Milk, Vermicelli and Sugar … Flavors of Saffron, Cardamom and Nutmeg make this dessert more Special .. Enjoy this dessert Warm or Chilled. So easy to prepare and so easy to impress your loved ones with this all time hit dessert.
This is my first post , after Diwali.. Diwali is the most loved Indian Festival , the festival of lights and happiness. I enjoyed a lot.. How’s your Diwali , friends???
There are many stories behind the reason of Diwali Celebration. Diwali is celebrated to honor Rama-chandra, the seventh avatar (incarnation of the god Vishnu). It is believed that on this day Rama returned to his people after 14 years of exile during which he fought and won a battle against the demons and the demon king, Ravana.
Sharing here few my random clicks of Diwali Celebrations ..
Well lets come back to todays easy sweets recipe.
Vermicelli also known as Sevaiya or Semiya. Vermicelli is easily available in grocery shop or super market. Now a days even roasted vermicelli is also available in market..
For this recipe, we will roast Semiya with few drops of Ghee then cook in Milk… Roasting in Ghee will give beautiful aroma and flavour to this Pudding .
- 1 cup Vermicelli
- 1 liter milk
- 1 cup Sugar
- 1.5 tsp Cardamom and Nutmeg powder
- 1/2 tsp Ghee , to roast Vermicelli
- Few Saffron strands
- 1/4 cup Chopped Almonds and Cashew nuts
- In a nonstick wok, take 1/2 tsp Ghee. Add vermicelli and roast on slow flame till vermicelli gets golden color.. My family loves dark color of vermicelli so I roast a little more… While roasting keep stiring for even roast.
- Another side , in a heavy bottomed Vessel, take milk . Keep on medium flame. Stir occasionally to avoid side burning…
- Once milk starts boiling add roasted vermicelli and saffron (soak in warm milk for 2 mins ) … stir occasionally and allow it to cook for 10-12 mins on medium flame..
- Keep stiring occasionally else vermicelli may stick to bottom with milk…
- Vermicelli will be soft in 7-9 mins, but I love thick and creamy texture of Kheer so boil it more for few mins.. Once cool down, it will be thicken more.
- When almost done. Add cardamom nutmeg powder and cashews… Mix well.
- Add sugar when kheer is thick and creamy enough. Dont add it at very early stage..
- After adding sugar mix nicely and cook for 2 3 mins then switch off the gas. Allow it to cool. Add Almond slivers. One can add fried raisins too. Cashews can also be added fried, but my family loves such cooked cashews so i dont add fried.
- Serve warm or chilled.
Hope you will enjoy this easy and yummy dessert . Would love to listen from you all .
Happy Cooking 🙂 🙂