- 1 cup Milk Powder
- ¼ cup Maida or All Purpose Flour
- 1 tsp Ghee
- 1/6 tsp Baking soda
- 1 to 2 tbsp Yogurt
- 2 cups water
- 1.5 cups sugar
- 3-4 green Cardamoms powdered
- Few Saffron Strands
- 1 tsp Rose Essence
Add Cardamom and Saffron and cook for more 3-4 mins.There should be no thread formation in the sugar solution.Stir in the Rose Essence and keep aside.
First mix the milk powder, all purpose flour, soda in a bowl.Add ghee and just 1 tbsp of yogurt.
The dough should not be crumbly or dry. if it is then add some yogurt.Mix and keep on adding little of the yogurt to get a soft sticky mixture.
Grease palms with ghee drops and Make smooth small balls from the dough.
Heat Ghee and the reduce the flame to low.Add the balls and fry them stirring often to get even color.
When they become golden, remove from a slotted spoon and add them to the sugar syrup.let them soak in the sugar syrup for at least 2 hours.
Gulab jamuns can be served warm or cold. if they are at room temperature, then warm in the microwave and serve gulab jamun topped with sugar syrup.
- On cooling if the sugar syrup crystallizes, then just add 2 to 3 tbsp water and warm the syrup again it will again return to a liquid state. Or At time of boiling add 2-3 drops of Lemon juice to prevent Crystallization.
- Don’t over mix or knead the flour mixture much, just mixing well is enough. The all purpose flour is just added to bind the mixture. If gluten forms then the dough balls become dense and won’t absorb any of the sugar syrup and gulab jamun will not be soft.
- There should be no cracks on the dough balls , they should be smooth. if there are cracks, then just add some 1 or 2 tsp of yogurt or milk to the mixture and continue making the balls.
- Fry balls on slower flame, ideally the ball should slowly rise to the top from the bottom. If it does not rise then, the ghee is not hot enough. if it rises quickly and browns also quickly, then the ghee is too hot to fry.
- While frying the balls , balls have to be stirred with a slotted spoon frequently to get even browning. If there are handles on the pan, you can just lightly shake the pan so that the balls are evenly fried without using the spoon. but take care as hot ghee is there in the pan. The gulab jamun balls should also not become browned too soon. they have to be cooked from the insides too.
- While Adding Balls to syrup, syrup should be little more hot than Warm. After adding balls into sugar syrup, let it soak for at least 2 hrs. If you feel the gulab jamuns are not soaking in the sugar syrup, then warm the whole gulab jamuns along with the sugar syrup on stove top or in the microwave. cover and keep aside. just warm them, don’t heat.
- You can also use Oil to fry Balls.
Happy Cooking 🙂 🙂