Khaman Dhokla, a Gujarati traditional dish is a savory snack made out of gram flour. It is steamed and is typically served during breakfast or dinner. Since it is made out of chickpea flour it is rich in proteins and carbohydrates. Soft, spongy and delicious they also make a great mid-afternoon or tea time snack.
With this easy step by step photos recipe of khaman dhokla, you can prepare soft and spongy instant dhokla in less than 20 minutes
- 1.5 cup Gram flour/ Besan
- 2 tsp Rava ( Semolina )
- 1.5 tsp Lemon Juice
- 1/2 tsp Sugar
- 1/2 cup curd ( I used fresh)
- 1 cup water
- 1 tsp chilli paste
- 1 tsp oil
- 1 tsp Eno fruit salt
- Salt to taste
• 1 tsp mustard seeds
• 1 tsp Sesame Seeds
• 5-6 curry leaves
• 2-3 Green chillies, cut into slit
• 2 tsp Oil
• 1 Tbsp coriander leaves (chopped)
• In a big bowl, add the Besan, Rawa, Sugar, Chilli paste, salt, lemon juice, oil, and mix with spoon. Add the yogurt, water and whisk it well. This batter should be little thick.Allow it to rest for 5-7 mins.
• Heat a steamer with enough water in the bottom. Grease dhokla thalis or a round container that fits in the steamer.
• Now add 1 tsp Eno to the batter mix very well and immediately pour into hot greased thali in stemer untill its 2/3 full. Remember after the dhoklas are steamed they will puff up.
• Steam for 12 – 15 minutes with lid covered.
• After 15 minutes, turn off heat and allow it to rest for 5 minutes in the Steamer itself with lid opened. Take it out and keep aside.
• Heat oil in a small pan and add the mustard seeds, Green Chillies and curry leaves. Let the mustard seeds crackle. Now add Sesame seeds and hing. Now add 1/3 cup water and Bring to boil. Cook for half a minute on high flame.
• Using a small spoon pour it evenly over the steamed and cooled dhokla. Let it rest for a little while.
• Cut them into desired shapes square or diamond and garnish with coriander leave
Happy Cooking 🙂 🙂