How to make perfect NYLON KHAMAN or INSTANT BESAN DHOKLA at home without use of Citric Acid| Best Nylon Khaman recipe with all details, tips, tricks , step by step pictures and video recipe
Nylon Khaman, a Gujarati traditional dish, is a savory snack made from gram flour. It is steamed and can be served at any time of day. Soft, spongy and delicious they also make a great mid-afternoon or tea time snack. It’s a crowd pleasure and will be loved by all age group..
As it is made out of chickpea flour it is rich in proteins and carbohydrates. Its very easy to make at home with just few common ingredients .
With this easy step by step photos recipe of khaman, you can prepare soft and spongy instant besan dhokla in less than 30 minutes..
Let’s checkout the recipe with all details and step by step pictures …
Sieve the chickpeas flour / besan nicely before starting the recipe. In a big bowl, take Besan, yogurt, Rava, Sugar, Ginger Chilli, Turmeric powder, Salt, Lemon juice, Oil, and mix with spoon.
Add water and whisk it well. This batter should be little thick yet pouring consistency .
Now , with the help of hand beater whisk the batter really well for 4 to 5 minutes , just in one direction . Allow it to rest for 15 to 20 mins.
Heat a steamer with enough water in the bottom. Grease dhokla thalis or a round container that fits in the steamer.
Whisk the batter again for few seconds. Now add 1.5 tsp Eno or baking powder to the batter . Pour a tsp water on it.
mix very well and immediately pour into hot greased thali in stemer untill its 2/3 full. Tap the container gently only once or twice .
Remember after the dhoklas are steamed they will puff up.
Steam for 12 – 15 minutes with lid covered.
After 15 minutes, turn off heat and allow it to rest for 5 minutes in the Steamer itself with lid opened.
Later,Take it out and keep aside.
Heat oil in a small pan and add the mustard seeds, Green Chillies and Sesame seeds.
Let the mustard seeds and sesame seeds crackle. Now add curry leaves and hing.
Now add 2/3 cup water. Add sugar, salt and lemon juice. Bring to boil. Cook for half a minute on high flame. Switch off the flame and cool it little.
Using a small spoon pour it evenly over the steamed and little cooled dhokla. Let it rest for a little while and absorb the flavours from tempering.
Garnish with coriander leave and shredded coconut …
Here, now I would love to mention some Important notes to make perfect Khaman …
- Seive the chikpeas flour . Yes , it’s very important step . By seiving , flour will get good airy texture and that is really helpful for final result.
- Whisking the batter is compulsory too.
- Store bought Khaman made with Citric Acid . Well , frankly nothing wrong in using citric acid , but it’s possible that it’s not always available at home.
- Consistency of batter should not be runny or thick . Perfect pouring consistency will result in perfect soft , Khaman.
Recipe Card for NYLON KHAMAN / INSTANT BESAN DHOKLA
Perfect Soft, Spongy Khaman recipe with Citric Acid
- 1.5 cup Gram flour/ Besan
- 2 tsp Rava ( Semolina )
- 2 tsp Lemon Juice
- 3 tsp Sugar
- 1/2 cup curd ( I used fresh)
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 tsp finely chopped green chillies
- 1/2 tsp Grated Ginger
- 1 tsp Oil
- 1.5 tsp Fruit salt / Eno OR 1.5 tsp Baking Powder
- Salt to taste
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric Powder
- 2 tsp Oil
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 tsp Sesame Seeds
- 5-6 curry leaves
- 2-3 Green chillies cut into slit
- 1-2 Red Dry chillies (optional)
For Garnishing Coriander leaves (chopped)Some shredded fresh Coconut
- Sieve Chipeas Flour/ Besan very nicely. Seiving is very important step for a perfect spongy Khaman.
- In a big bowl, take Besan, Curd, Sugar, Ginger, Chilli Turmeric powder, Salt, Lemon juice, Oil, and mix with spoon.
- Add the Rava, water and whisk it well.Add water little by little. This batter should be little thick yet pouring consistency .
- Now , with the help of hand beater whisk the batter really well for 4 to 5 minutes , just in one direction . DON’T USE ELECTIC WHISKER .
- Allow it to rest for 5-7 mins.
- Heat a steamer with enough water in the bottom. Grease dhokla thalis or a round container that fits in the steamer.
- Mix it again well for a minute .
- Now add 1.5 tsp Eno to the batter mix very well and immediately pour into greased thali in stemer untill its 2/3 full. Remember after the dhoklas are steamed they will puff up.
- Steam for 12 – 15 minutes with lid covered.
- After 15 minutes, turn off heat and allow it to rest for 5 minutes in the Steamer itself with lid opened.
- Later,Take it out and keep aside.
Do try this recipe , and don’t forget to share your feedback with me..
Kindly rate the recipe and give your feedback in the comment box below..
Stay connected with me on following social medias….
Happy Cooking 🙂 🙂