It is a sweet and spicy condiment or pickle mostly prepared and used in Gujarat with Roti or Thepla .This Shredded Mango Sweet Pickle also called as CHHUNDO in Gujarati. A tasty pickle which one can store for years.
There are few point i want to share here, which are very important while making this pickle:
- Mangoes should be SLIGHTLY Ripe. Such mangoes have great taste and its bit sweet also so no need to add much sugar.
- Use KASHMIRI RED CHILLI POWDER for perfect colour and taste. As this type of chilli powder wont be spicy .
- Make sure sugar MUST be fully dissolved before you keep in sun. As once you place mixture in sun, Sugar wont dissolve.
- Traditionally we Gujarati make this pickle by keeping Mango mixture in sun for 5-6 days or till sugar syrup attains a single thread consistency. This is the best way to make this pickle. If its not possible one can make on gas stove also.
- If making on gas stove, once sugar mixed properly keep on gas on medium flame. Keep stirring continuously for 3 to 4 minutes. Bubbles should be coming up . Over cooking can be caused of forming crystals. Cool Completely and store in a air tight glass jar. 🙂 🙂 So easy to make, very time saving method. But still i personally prefer the traditional way only 🙂 🙂 🙂
So lets checkout the process ..
- 1 Kg Raw Mango Preferably RAJAPURI
- 2 tsp Cumin Seeds
- 1.5 tsp Red Chilli Powder
- 2/3 tsp Salt
- 1/2 tsp Hing
- 2 kg Sugar
Wash and pet dry mangoes nicely. Grate it. Grate should be long and bit thick. Take this grated mangoes into a broad vessel. Broad vessel will help while stirring the pickle.
Add all ingredients. Mix well. Give a continuous stir till sugar starts melting. It will take a minute or two.
Keep aside till sugar dissolved fully. Keep stirring at every hour. Keep cleaning the sides of vessel so that sugar will be mix nicely.
When you are sure that sugar is fully dissolved and no particle of sugar is left, proceed further.
Tie the mouth of vessel with a thin cloth. Keep this in SUN for 5-6 days . Give a good stir twice or thrice daily . Sugar syrup consistency should be of 1 thread.
Store in a air tight glass jar. One can store this pickle for years.
Hope you like this pickle and recipe 🙂 🙂
Happy Cooking 🙂 🙂