How to Indian Lemonade / Easy Nimbu Sharbat at home / How to Store sugar concentrate for whole year / Summer Drinks / Shikanji Masala
Nimbu Pani and Shikanji are the Indian variants of lemonade or limeade made with fresh lemon or lime juice, water, sugar, salt and optionally a few ground spices.
These fast and easy-to-make beverages are rehydrating, refreshing and sold by street vendors and made at home. Summer being hot and humid in India, shikanji is most handy and one of the cheapest way to keep hydrated.
Here, I am sharing an easy recipe to store the syrup for months. SHIKANJI masala can be also stored for months. So , whenever you want to have Shikanji, just add some sugar + lemon concentrate , shikanji masala, mint leaves ,some ice cubes and chilled water / club soda.
It derives its name “Masala Shikanji” due to the presence of masala or spices. These spices make this sweet and salty lemony drink different from normal lemonade. If using plain soda water, it has got many health benefits. These health benefits comes from lemon which a rich source of vitamin C. The spices makes it tasty with the zing of lemon. It helps you feel refreshing, re-energised and also helps in digestion.
Lets checkout the Video recipe here..
Nimbu Sharbat with Shikanji Masala
Easy and Tasty Nimbu Sharbat with Shikanji Masala
- Never add lemon juice in hot syrup. It will turn bitter.
- To make Concentrate
- 2 cup Sugar
- 2 cup water
- 1 cup Lemon juice For Shikanji Masala
- 2 tbsp Cumin Seeds
- 1 tbsp Black Pepper
- 2 tsp Black Salt
- 1 tsp regular Salt
- 1 tbsp Ginger Powder
- 1 tbsp Cumin seeds (unroasted) To make Shikanji
- lots of ice cubes
- few fresh Mint leaves
- 2 tbsp prepared sugar lemon concentrate
- 1/2 tsp Shikanji Masala
- water or club soda
- In a pan, heat sugar and water.
- On medium to high flame, keep stirring and cook till sugar disolves fully.
- Once sugar disolves, cook for just one more minute on high flame.
- Dont make any string consistency, we just need a little thick and sticky syrup.
- Later, switch off the flame and allow it to cool completely on counter top.
- Till, syrup gets cool lets prepare Shikaji Masala..
- Heat a pan, add 2 tbsp Cumin ppwder and 1 tbsp black pepper.
- Roast on slow flame for 2 to 3 minutes. Keep stirring. Dont turn cumin seeds very dark..
- Later, allow it to cool a bit .
- Transfer to a mixer jar. Add black salt, salt, unroasted cumin seeds and ginger powder.
- The taste and fragrance of roasted and unroasted cumin seeds are always different . so do add the both to make spice mix..
- Blend into nice powder. Its very flavourful and tasty spice mix. Which can be use not only in Shikanji but also with Buttermilk or lassi or even on Sandwiches or chaat.
- Store in an air tight container. This spice mix stays fresh for weeks.
- Now , lets prepare lemon juice. Roll the lemons on counter top, cut the lemons into half. Squeeze the lemons by hand or squeezer. We need 1 cup lemon juice, so act accordingly.
- Note : if squeezing with hand, dont over squeeze the lemons, as mixture may turn bitter.
- Once Sugar Syrup is cooled completely, mix the lemon juice in it. Mix them well.
- Now, strain the mixture once. And then fill in cleaned air tight glass jar. Store this concentrate in refrigerator for months.
- To make shikanji, pour 2 tbsp prepare sugar concentrate, add 1/2 tsp shikanji masala and few Mint leaves.
- Now add lots of ice cubes. Pour chilled water or club soda. Sprinkle some more shikanji masala.
- Stir gently. Garnish the classes with lemon slices.
- Serve immediately
Hope you will like this recipe. I would love to listen from you all..
Kindly rate the recipe and give your feedback in the comment box below.
Happy Cooking 🙂 🙂