Dahi Aloo Recipe | Dahi Wale Aloo Recipe | Dahi Aloo Sabji Recipe with written and Video recipe
A simple and quick Potato Curry, prepared mainly with potatoes and yogurt with other dry spices. This can be served with Roti, Paratha, Steamed Rice or Jeera Rice. A perfect Lunch/ Dinner idea for a busy day or weekend..
I have made this very tasty and easy Dahi Aloo with IDHAYAM HARDIL KACHI GHANI MUSTARD OIL. The high smoking point of mustard oil makes it ideal for deep frying too. Click here to know more about Idhayam products..
Coming back to today’s recipe, It hardly takes few minutes to cook this dahi based recipe, yet I would like to share few tips for perfect Dahi Aloo Curry.
- I highly recommend to whisk the curd/yoghurt before adding it to the curry, else curd may curdle out..
- Do not forget to continuously stir the curry after adding curd till it starts boiling.
- Always cook the curd based curry on a low to medium flame till it boils…
- This recipe can be easily converted into NO ONION NO GARLIC recipe.
- In this recipe, I have used just boiled potatoes. But If you want, you can definitely shallow fry boiled potatoes before adding to curry.
- Mustard Oil gives lovely flavour and taste to the curry. But if its not available , you can use any other Oil too.
Checkout the Video Recipe for Dahi Aloo Curry here..
Lets checkout the detailed recipe …
Dahi Aloo Curry
Dahi Aloo Curry | Dahi Wale Aloo Recipe | Dahi Aloo ki Sabzi
- 6 to 7 Potatoes
- 1+1/4 cup Curd
- 1 tsp Gram Flour
- 1/2 tsp Black Salt
- 1.5 tbsp Red Chilli Powder
- 1.5 tbsp Coriander Cumin Powder
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric Powder
- 4 to 5 tbsp Mustard Oil
- 1 tsp Cumin Seeds
- 1 Black Cardamom
- 1 Bay leaf
- 1 Cinnamon stick
- 2 Cloves
- 1/2 tsp Asafoetida / Hing
- 2 Onions, finely chopped
- 2 Green Chillies, slit
- 1 tbsp Ginger Chilli Paste
- 1 tbsp Kasuri Methi
- 2 to 3 tbsp Coriander, finely chopped
- First, wash and Peel the Potatoes. Cut into 4 pieces. Here , I have used medium sized potatoes so cutting into 4 pieces. You can use baby potatoes too.
- In a pressure cooker, add chopped potatoes, salt and some water. Cover the lid . Cook on medium flame for just one whistle.
- Switch off the flame , and wait for 10 minutes or till air goes out naturally.
- Later, drain the access water and spread the cooked Potato pieces on a plate. Allow it to cool bit.
- Keep this plate in refrigerator or under fan for 10 to 15 minutes. This way, potatoes will be little firm and will maintain the shape.
- In a bowl, take curd. Curd should not be sour else curry will turn very sour.
- Add gram flour, turmeric powder, red chilli powder and cumin coriander powder. Added gram flour will thicken the curry and make sure that curd wont curdle.
- You can add some Garam Masala too. As we are using whole spices, we have avoided Garam Masala.
- In a Pan, add mustard oil and allow it to heat till smoking.
- Add bay leaf, cloves, cinnamon, black cardamom. Later, add cumin seeds. Allow to crackle .
- Add asafoetida and then add chopped Onions. Also add greeb chillies and Ginger paste. Saute till onions turn brown.
- Now , add spiced curd. Flame should be medium. Stir continuously till it starts boiling.
- Cook for a minute, then add potatoes. Cover and cook for 5 minutes on slow flame.
- Potatoes are cooked, just need to absorb the spices from gravy. If you find, gravy turned very thick, add little water.
- Add some Kasuri Methi and chopped Coriander .
- Serve hot with Roti, Paratha , Jeera Rice or Steamed Rice.
Hope you will like this recipe. I would love to listen from you all..
Kindly rate the recipe and give your feedback in the comment box below.