Kashmiri Dum Aloo Recipe with written and video recipe | How to make authentic Kashmiri Dum Aloo at home
Kashmiri Dum Aloo is an easy and delicious recipe of baby potatoes cooked in a curd based spicy gravy. Generally Kashmiri Dum Aloo is served with hot Steamed Rice but also can be served with Roti, Paratha, Naan etc.
Dum Aloo is very popular curry recipe across India and globe. Though it has many variations specific to different regions. This recipe is specific to Kashmir Valley and it’s prepared with minimum locally available ingredients .
Sharing here few Points to be taken care while making Kashmiri Dum Aloo…
- This recipe does not have any Onion or Garlic in it.
- Size of potato should be medium . Neither tiny baby potatoes nor that big sized potatoes. If not available , one can cut regular sized potatoes into bigger pieces.
- Like other recipes , this curry don’t need so many varieties of spices.
- Kashmiri Dum Aloo is spicy and sour in taste. I have used Kashmiri Red Chilli Powder . This measurement was perfect for my family , if you prefer more spicy , increase the quantity of red chilli powder.
- Caraway Seeds, Ginger Powder, Fennel Powder are very flavourful and will give beautiful texture and amazing taste to the dish. Don’t avoid.
- Before curd, whisk it so well else it may curdle while cooking.
I have already posted a very tasty and creamy PUNJABI STYLE DUM ALOO on blog earlier, do checkout that recipe too
I have made this very tasty and easy Kashmiri Dum Aloo with IDHAYAM HARDIL KACHI GHANI MUSTARD OIL. The high smoking point of mustard oil makes it ideal for deep frying too. Click here to know more about Idhayam products..
Checkout the video recipe for Kashmiri Dum Aloo here…
Recipe Card for Kashmiri Dum Aloo
Kasmiri Dum Aloo
- 10 to 12 pc / 500 gm Baby Potatoes
- Mustard Oil , to fry Potatoes
- 4 to 5 tbsp Curd
- 1 tsp Caraway seeds (Shahjeera)
- 1 tsp Fennel Seeds , half crushed
- 1 tsp Fennel Seeds Powder
- 3 tsp Red Chilli Powder
- 4 to 5 Black Pepper
- 1 Cinnamon
- 1 Black Cardamom
- 2 -3 Green Cardamom
- 1/2 tbsp Ginger Powder
- 2 to 3 Cloves
- 1/4 tsp Asafoetida / Hing
- Wash and clean baby potatoes thoroughly. Make there is no impurities there.
- Take cleaned potatoes in a pressure cooker. Add salt and enough water.
- Close to the lid and cook for 2 whistles on medium flame. Do not over cook .
- Later , cool and peel the potatoes.
- Pork the boiled potatoes with fork. Do it gently else potatoes may break.
- Heat Idhayam Kachi Ghani Mustard oil in a pan.
- Fry boiled baby potatoes on medium flame till crispy . Stor occassionally for even cooking.
- Drain off potatoes on kitchen paper and keep aside .
- In same kadai , take out the access oil and just keep 3 tbsp Oil .
- Switch off the flame and allow the temperature to go little down.
- Now, add cloves, cardamom, black pepper and cinnamon.
- Then add caraway seeds, fennel seeds , hing and red chilli powder .
- Immediately add 1 cup water. Be quick else red chilli may get burned
- On a very low flame add whisked curd. Stir continuously else curd may get curdled.
- Now add salt, ginger powder and fennel seeds powder .
- Add fried potatoes. Cover the lid and cook the curry for 10 to 15 minutes.
- After this time, curry will be thick and will separate oil .
- Serve Kashmiri Dum Aloo with steamed rice or roti .
Hope you will like this recipe. I would love to listen from you all..
Do try this recipe , and don’t forget to share your feedback with me.
Kindly rate the recipe and give your feedback in the comment box below.
Happy Cooking 🙂