Batata Vada Or Bateta Vada is a deep fried spicy mashed potato balls , coated with gram flour batter. These finger licking Bateta Vadas are very popular Street food through out India and globally. These Aloo Vadas are Vegan, Gluten free and can be served as a starter or a tea time snack . Every region, household has a unique recipe . There could be lots of variation in stuffing. Bateta Vada .
I have used IDHAYAM MANTRA GROUNDNUT OIL to fry Gujarati Batata Vada . Check out the Video Recipe for Gujarati Bateta Vada here…
Recipe Card for Bateta Vada
Batata Vada / Bateta Vada is a deep fried potato stuffed fritter. Sharing here Gujarati style Bateta Vada recipe .
Ingredients1 cup= 240ml For Stuffing
- 4 to 5 medium sized boiled Potatoes
- 1/4 cup finely chopped Coriander
- 1/2 tsp Garam Masala
- 1/4 tsp Asafoetida
- 3 tsp Sugar
- 2 tbsp Ginger Chilli Paste
- 2 tbsp Lemon Juice
- 2 cups Gram Flour / Besan
- 1/4 tsp Turmeric Powder
- 1/4 tsp Asafoetida
- 1 tsp Red Chilli Powder
- 1 tsp Carom Seeds / Ajwain
- 2 tbsp Rice Flour (optional)
- 1/4 tsp Baking Soda
- Oil for frying
- In a mixing bowl, mash the potatoes . One can grate the potatoes too.
- Add salt and finely chopped coriander. If you have added salt while cooking potatoes , be careful while adding salt for stuffing.
- Then add, asafoetida, Garam Masala, ginger chilli paste, Sugar, Lemon Juice.
- Mix every thing well and make stuffing ready.
- Grease hands well , make small round shaped vadas from stuffing. Keep aside
- In a mixing bowl, take Besan. Add salt, ajwain, asafoetida, turmeric powder, red chilli powder and rice flour .
- Mix well. Add water and prepare batter. Add water little by little and keep whisking to avoid lumps.
- Batter consistency should be smooth and medium thick.
- Add Cooking Soda and whisk well. Keep aside
- Heat oil. Oil should be medium hot .
- Add 2 tbsp hot oil to batter and whisk well.
- Add prepared potato balls into batter. With help of spoon , cover the batter around the potato ball.
- Drip the access batter and drop the besan coated potato balls into hot Oil.
- Add 7 to 8 potato balls into hot oil at a time
- Don’t stir immediately. Allow it to fry for few seconds. Then Stir and allow it to fry on all sides evenly..
- Fry till crispy and brown in colour.
- Take out from hot Oil and keep on oil absorbant paper .
- Serve hot with Spicy Coriander chutney and sweet Tamarind Chutney
- For Besan layer, rice flour is optional . Rice flour will give lovely crispy texture to the outer layer.
- For stuffing, coarse grinded dry coriander seeds and black peppers can be added.
- Some fresh pomegranate pearls can be added too .
Hope you will like this recipe. I would love to listen from you all..
Do try this recipe , and don’t forget to share your feedback with me.
Kindly rate the recipe and give your feedback in the comment box below.
Stay connected with me on following social medias….
Follow blog , YouTube Channel , FaceBook Page , Instagram, Pinterest , Twitter ..
Happy Cooking 🙂