This tasty Veggie Chickpea Salad Sandwich is a vegetarian powerpacked option for lunch or brunch! Make it in advance for a party or picnic or to take along as an easy weekday lunch for work or school.
It’s so fresh and full of flavor that you will surely make it again and again
It’s completely satisfying and tastes great while gives more than half of required protein and fiber for the day
This Salad , can be served on a bed of chopped lettuce with sliced cherry tomatoes and a big squeeze of fresh lemon overtop.
The tempting way to eat this salad is in a sandwich like this. Use any bread, toasted or un-toasted, and add sliced tomato , sliced cucumber. If you’re a sandwich lover, you’ll love this one for sure.
The salad will be great for approx. 4 days in the refrigerator so make it for now, or for later!
- The ingredients can be changed up to suit your taste and make it interesting!
- One can add Cooked Red Lentil too.
- Add diced red and yellow bell pepper, for more crunch and colour .
- Add fresh or pickled Dill.
- Fresh chopped Celery and Basil will add on taste.
- One can use Green/Red onion for added color.
- Instead of whole grain mustard , one can use dijon mustard too.
- Vary it up by adding sunflower seeds, olives, capers, etc. Maybe not all together, but pick and choose.
- The binder for this recipe works well with Mayo, hummus and tahini. If using hummus or tahini, I highly recommend adding a few tablespoons of water to thin it, making for a wonderfully creamy texture.
Let your imagination be your guide. Cheers to a good nutrient dense meal with lots of flavor. 🙂
Start by chopping your veggies and roughly mashing the chickpeas. You’ll want to mash about 3/4 of the chickpeas. If you find you didn’t mash enough now, you can always mash a little more once everything is combined.
Add All other ingredients with mashed chikpeas, mix well . And salad is ready..
FOR THE SALAD:
- 1/2 cup Chickpeas , soaked +cooked+drained
- 2 stalks Leek
- 1/4 cup chopped shredded carrots
- 1/4 cup finely chopped red bell pepper
- 1/4 cup finely chopped grated cabbage
- 1/4 cup Mayonise
- 1 tsp crushed mustard seeds
- Salt to taste
- 1/4 tsp crushed Black pepper
- 1 tsp Chilly Flakes or as needed
- 1 tbsp Oregano
- 3 tbsp chopped Cilantro/ Corriander
- 1/4 cup chopped Green Bell Pepper
FOR THE SANDWICH:
- Sandwich bread
- Arugula or Romaine Lettuce
- Some Cucumber slices
- Some Tomato slices
Soak the chikpeas for 4 to 5 hrs. Cook with little salt in a pressure cooker for 3 to 4whistles on slow flame.. Drain and allow it cool. Now add them to a large bowl. Mash with a potato masher or fork until texture appears flaked. Make sure every chickpea is deliciously smashed. You could also use a food processor and skip this step..
Chop green bell pepper, Leek , shredded carrots, grated cabbage, corriander,
Add to the bowl with your mashed chickpeas, then add mayo, oregano, chilly flakes, crushed mustard, salt, and pepper. Stir well to coat.
At this stage , you can add chopped ftesh basil.
Our delicious Veggie Chikeas Salad is ready.. Pile high on bread with all your sandwich fixings or enjoy as a wrap, with crackers, on a salad, or simply dive into the bowl – anything goes!
This makes a fantastic make-ahead dish for lunches during the week and is great on the go too. Pack a sandwich or salad for lunch/school or make it ahead to serve at a party or picnic.
To make sandwich, layer some lettuce on bottom bread. Filled with prepared salad. Add some sliced cucumber and tomatoes. Cover with another slice of bread… And there you go. A complete , healthy and super tempting meal os ready.
I have prepared this recipe for a group event where members of this group get together every fortnight and cook a dish depending on the theme.
Check out what type of sandwiches fellow members have made:
Cheese and Curried Babycorn Sandwich by Priya Iyer
Sesame Veg Sandwich by Rosy Nayak
Grilled Vegetable Sandwich by Jayashree Trao
Paneer Chutney Sandwich by Mayuri Patel
Baked Falafel Sandwich by Shalu Jain
Veg Cheese Sandwich by Geetanjali Tung
Mediterranean Steamed Kale Sandwich by Seema Doraiswamy Sriram
Heirloom Tomatoes and Avocado Tartines by Vanitha Bhat
Chocolate Sandwich with Peanut Butter by Sasmita Sahoo Samanta
Do checkout above links too for exotic varieties of Sandwiches.
Hope you all will love it as much as we loved in family. I would love to listen from you all in comments below.
Happy cooking 🙂 🙂