How to make restaurant style Malai Kofta at home | Malai Kofta detailed recipe with written and video recipe
Malai Kofta is a classic north Indian dish originated from the Mughlai cuisine. Malai refers to the cream and Koftas are paneer and vegetable dumplings in rich and creamy tomato gravy. It is a rich dish perfect for parties and special occasions.
Malai kofta is one of the most popular paneer recipe.The gravy or curry can be kept white or colored red or brown by using spice powders and tomato puree. Both ways the malai kofta tastes good.
Checkout the detailed recipe to make perfect Paneer at home ..
Malai Kofta is a tasty vegetarian alternative. Restaurant style malai kofta is cooked in a creamy gravy made of tomatoes and cashewnuts. Potato and Paneer koftas in a creamy, rich, mild and lightly sweet (because of nuts) gravy. It goes well with chapati, naan, jeera rice, all pulaos..
Checkout the Video recipe here..
For the Kofta:
- 1 cup (200 gms) Paneer , grated
- 4 medium size Potatoes, boiled, peeled and grated
- 4 tsp Finely chopped Coriander
- ½ tsp Ginger Paste
- Salt as required
- 2 tsp Chopped Cashews
- 2 green chillies, finely chopped
For the Gravy/Curry:
- 2 to 3 big sized Onions, roughly chopped
- 2 to 3 big sized Tomatos, roughly choped
- 5 to 6 Garlic Pods
- Ginger , a big piece
- 8 to 10 Cashews
- 1.5 tsp Red chili powder
- 1 tsp Cumin Coriander Powder
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric Powder
- 1/2 tsp Garam masala
- 1 tsp kasuri methi, crushed
- salt as required
- 4 to 5 tbsp Oil
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 small pc cinnamon
- 2-3 green cardamom
- 2-3 cloves/laung
- Chopped coriander leaves , for garnishing
- 1/4 cup Fresh cream /Malai
- Take 2 tsp oil in a wok . Once hot enough add onions .
- Saute for a minute then add chopped garlic and ginger. Saute till almost cooked.
- Then add chopped tomatoes and cashews. Cook till tomatoes are fully soft and mashy.
- Then add some salt , turmeric powder, red chilli powder and coriander cumin powder . Mix well and saute for a minute more.
- Then switch off the gas and allow this mixture to cool.
- To make Kofta, In a bowl take grated paneer and potatoes. Here why we are taking grated , just to make sure that it mixes nicely.
- Then add salt, green chillies, ginger paste, chopped coriander and chopped nuts . One can even stuff this koftas with fried nuts.
- Mix well. Now form koftas. One can add cornflour or crushed Oats if mixture is too sticky.
- Make medium sized shapes and dust with some cornflour .
- Now fry in hot oil till brown..One can also cook in appe pan /paniyaram pan with very little oil. Fry all koftas and keep it aside..
- Take 4 to 5 tsp Oil in a heavy bottom kadai. Add all the whole spices and fry till the oil becomes fragrant.
- Then add onion tomato paste and saute for 5 minutes.. Mix really well and cook for at least 8 to 10 minutes.
- Keep stirring occasionally else gravy will be burnt.
- Then add some Salt , Garam Masala and red chilli powder. Then add a glass of water. Mix it well and allow it to start boiling.
- Then add crushed dry fenugreek leaves and fresh cream. Give a good stir and turn of the gas . Cover the lid and keep aside .
- Add the koftas in the curry only if serving immediately . Else keep gravy and koftas separately till you serve ..
- Garnish the malai kofta with some coriander leaves and fresh cream. One can add grated paneer too..
- Serve Hot with Roti, Paratha, Naan or Rice…
Hope you will like this recipe. I would love to listen from you all.
Do try this recipe , and don’t forget to share your feedback with me…
Kindly rate the recipe and give your feedback in the comment box below.
Happy Cooking 🙂 🙂