SAMBHAR POWDER | SAMBHAR PODI | HOMEMADE SAMBHAR MASALA Recipe with detailed written recipe , stepwise pics and video recipe …
Fresh , aromatic , homemade Sambhar powder which is made from fragrant spices . This frangrant powder gives an awesome taste and flavour to Sambhar. Making at home is so easy. You can store for 2 to 3 months and can used whenever needed. In video recipe , I have also shown the quick recipe for Sambhar using sambhar powder.
I personally prefer to make in small batches so enjoy the fresh Masala , which gives a super fragrant and delicious Sambhar .. It’s also called as Sambhar Podi in Tamil language .
Well , this Masala is not any new in any household, being South Indian or not. Homemade spice mix is the best for cooking.
I would love to share some basic tips before going ahead for recipe details ..
- Always choose spices which are fresh. Dont use very old spices .
- Clean all the spices very carefully .. Sometimes you may find some stones or insects in Spices like corinder seeds , cumin seeds etc..
- Dry Red chilies also needs special attetion as far as cleaning is concern.
- Spices should be crisp and aromatic .
- One can store this Sambhar Powder fo 2 to 3 months.
- Always store spice mix in an air tight container.
Checkout the video recipe with all details and tips to make Sambhar Powder at home .. In video I have also included quick recipe for making sambhar using this flavourful sambhar powder .. Watch the full video ..
Now , let’s checkout the recipe…..
- 1 Cup Dry Coriander Seeds / Sabut Dhaniya
- 4 tbsp Split Bengal Gram / Chana Dal
- 1/4 cup Split Pigeon Peas / Toovar Dal / Arhar Dal
- 2 tbsp Cumin Seeds / Jeera
- 1 tsp Fenugreek Seeds / Methi
- 1 tsp Black Papper / Kali Mirch
- 15 to 17 Dry Red Chillies / Sukhi lal Mirch
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric Powder / Haldi
- 1/2 tsp Asafoetida / Hing
In a kadai Dry roast each ingredients.. Roast them till it change to light brown colour on lowest flame. To roast evenly keep stiring ..
First , we will roast dry coriander seeds. Roast till crispy and fragrant. Keep stirring. Keep aside in a bowl.
Roast Toovar Dal on slow flame . Keep strring . Keep aside in bowl.
Now roast chanadal on slow flame . Keep stirring . Keep aside in same bowl ..
Now roast cumin seeds , fenugreek seeds and black pepper. Keep aside in same bowl ..
Now roast red dry chillies .. roast till crisy. Make sure it should not burn.
Now Switch off the flame and allow all roasted spices to cool .
Once it’s cool, grind this roasted ingredients to make fine powder. While grinding add turmeric , asafoetida. (This is just to enhance the texture)..
Grind into very fine powder. While grindng for long , this spice mix will be hot. So allow it cool for few minutes before storing in an air tight container.
Sambhar Powder is ready.. checkout the video for quick recipe of sambhar..
Store in a dry , air tight container. Use when needed, One can store up to 2 to 3 months..
Do try this recipe , and don’t forget to share your feedback with me..
Kindly rate the recipe and give your feedback in the comment box below..
Stay connected with me on following social medias….
Happy Cooking 🙂 🙂