An authentic vegetable biryani is always slow cooked on dum. This cooking on dum gives the biriyani its uniqueness and originality. This is how the biryani has the beautiful medley of the aromas, flavors and tastes caused by the blending of the ingredients used in making it. You really have to cook the biryani with a lot of love and care.
There should be no hurry and cooking a biryani takes up some time. Yet it is worth it..
- 1 1/2 cups long grained rice
- a few saffron strands dissolved in 2 tbsp warm milk
- oil for deep frying
- 1 1/2 cups sliced onions
- 2 tbsp cashewnuts ( roughly chopped)
- 2 tbsp almonds (roughly chopped)
- 2 tbsp raisins
- 1/2 cup ghee
- 4 cloves
- 2 cardamom
- 2 bayleaf
- 3/4 cup chopped Onions
- 1 tbsp Chilli Ginger paste
- 1 tbsp Garlic paste
- ½ tsp Turmeric Powder
- ½ tsp Red Chilli Powder
- 2/3 cup Mint coriander paste
- 3 tbsp Biryani masala
- salt to taste
- 3/4 cup chopped potatoes
- ½ cup Green Peas
- 3/4 cup chopped carrot
- 5 to 6 chopped french beans
- 1/2 cup curd
- 1 tbsp chopped coriander
- Aluminium foil to seal
- Cook the rice such that each grain of the rice is separate. While boiling rice, add ½ tsp ghee and few drops of lemon juice. This will enhance the fragrance and texture of Basmati rice.
2. Add the saffron milk mixture to the rice and mix well.
4. Heat the oil in a kadhai and deep fry the onion slices till they turn crisp and golden brown in colour.
5. Drain on an absorbent paper and keep aside.
6. In the same oil, deep fry the cashewnuts, almonds and raisins till golden brown. Drain on an absorbent paper and keep aside.
8. Add the onions and ginger-garlic paste and saute till onions turn transculent.
9. Add the mint coriander paste, biryani masala,salt, all the vegetables.
10. Cook on medium flame till all the vegetables are cooked.
11. Remove from the flame, cool it on room temperature add the beaten curds and mix well.
13. Heat the remaining ghee in the deep vessel, sprinkle little fried onions, than spread the one portion gravy and top with rice.
14. Repeat the same process and rice should be on top.
- Spread fried onions, cashew nuts,raisins, almonds and coriander evenly on the top of the rice.
16. Cover the vessel with the lid and seal it with the Aluminum foil and allow to dum for half an hour or u can put in microwave with lid for 10-12 mins.
17. Serve hot with Boodi Raita.
Happy Cooking 🙂 🙂